[3830] WPX CW WO1N SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wo1n@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WO1N SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 22:12:49 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

------------
  160:    0
   80:  122
   40:  100
   20:  114
   15:   27
   10:    2
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station : FT1000D, C3-SS@38', R7, 80M Vertical Dipole, N1MM V6.12

 Turns out I haven't submitted a log in this contest since 2003. Don't quite
understand why because it is so much fun especially for lower end stations like
mine. Sort of Field Day or Sweepstakes and lots of good DX all together.

 I've got one big pine tree, ~60' high that holds either a 160M Inv L or an 80M
vertical dipole,sometimes known as a "C" antenna. I've been setting up the 80M
choice the past couple of years (no radials!) but last season (2005-2006) it
didn't play so well. I also had a trap loaded dipole that bisected my lot for
years up at about 45'. Last 4th of July it fell down and I never
had a chance to restring it. Well, it seems there was probably an interaction
as the 80M antenna has been playing great this season. 80 was great Friday
night and still good Saturday night, although a bit noisier. Managed a 50+ hour
Friday night with a good number of 6 pointers thrown in. That was a lot of fun.

 For that matter the R7 vertical has been playing great on 40M, also this
season. Probably due to the same reason. Too many antennas on a small suburban
lot...

 Most of the operating was during the evening hours. The usual yard work (last
opportunity for town pick-up of yard waste) and my son's baseball double header
during Saturday limited the total commit. I had a goal of 250Qs but the on-line
score reporting kept me in the chair a bit longer since it looked really cool
sitting at the top of the SOAB(A) LP group for basically the entire test
though
I sure that won't hold up.

 One apology is necessary. I mis-spotted UW8M on 40M in the last two minutes of
the test as UW7M and all hell broke loose on them. I am sorry for that, it
really brings out the packet pileup ugliness in situations like that.

 Alas, Monday morning I converted the yard to summer mode, taking down the 80M
and lowering the crank-up to 20'. Really sad. Good news is N1IW and myself have
put in our dibs to do IARU from K1TTT this summer....

 Thanks for the Qs,

 Ken
 WO1N