[3830] ARRL June VHF KB8U Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KB8U Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 06:26:49 -0700
                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: KB8U
Operator(s): KB8U
Station: KB8U

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN71
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

    6:  175    66
    2:  114    39
  222:   39    26
  432:   66    27
  903:    8     7
  1.2:   10     9
  2.3:    5     5
  3.4:    2     2
  5.7:
  10G:    1     1
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  420   182  Total Score = 106,470

Club:

Comments:

Compared to last year, the contest was a complete bust but historically it was
merely somewhat below average.

Tropo conditions were poor to the west, average to the north and east and
occassionally mildly enhanced to the south.  I called CQ for a looong time
pointed toward EN63 but never could find anybody.  There must be 6000 hams
living in EN63 (Milwaukee and northern suburbs) but I guess none of them were
interested in this contest.  EM69 (Indianapolis) used to have this distinction
but this time there was decent activity from that grid.

Six meter Es skip was pretty spotty most of the contest.  There would be
occassional weak signals in for a minute or two so I picked up the odd
multiplier here and there.

There were two decent openings to FN42 and surrounding grids (which is already
a fairly short hop to EN71), and for a few minutes one of those openings really
shortened up to as close as FN20.  I hope someone was able to work 2m Es off
that.  Trouble is 2m was probably open to the north Atlantic = no QSOs for
anybody.

With about 1 hour to go to the end of the contest, 6m finally opened up wide to
Texas and occassionally adjacent states.  The band was open for about 1/2 hour
so I was able to salvage a decent grid and QSO total out of that band.  Usually
there's a good opening to FL sometime during the June contest but not this
time.

73 and hope to work you all in the next contest!  For the CQ VHF contest I may
operate portable from some rare Michigan or Ontario grid just to try that out.

-Russ  KB8U