[3830] ARRL FD K5YAC 1A HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5yac@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K5YAC 1A HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:22:05 -0700

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  898    549     28  Total Score = 2,401

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

The crew started out towards the lake on Friday afternoon amid pouring rain.  We
weren't looking forward to setting up in the mud, but once we got to the
campground we found that it had missed the area entirely... only lots of heat
and humidity.  After a quick survey it was up with the 130' doublet (mystery
antenna) atop the 40' Rohn mast, the screen house, top off the generator and
connect radio gear.  Thanks to some prior planning, setup only took about 2
hours and testing went without a hitch.

Rig:
Kenwood TS850
Ameritron AL-811H
Rigblaster Plus
N1MM Logger
130' doublet (mystery antenna) up 40'
Honda eu2000i generator

After some hamburgers and cold drinks we turned in for some much needed pre-FD
rest only to be awakened by pouring rain at 3:30AM... K5YAC and crew (tent
campers) did everything they could to protect the gear and headed for the house
to dry out and get some sleep while Mom (K5YAB) and Dad (K5YAA) slept
comfortably in their cool, dry travel trailer.  After a few hours of sleep the
group was reassembled by 11:00AM, in plenty of time for coffee and to prepare
for the 1:00PM official start.  Fortunately the Wenzel screen house has an
excellent roof and the gear barely saw a light mist.

The bands (20, 40 and 80) seemed to be in excellent condition as we proceeded
to work several pileups on CW and SSB.  We attempted to improve our score using
PSK31 and RTTY, but FD operators were sparse or unable to keep our rate up...
unfortunately we missed the 15M opening.  We took a break to eat Saturday night
(~1 hour), and rested for ~3 hours.  Total operating time was ~20 hours, during
which we accumulated a combined 1475 QSOs.

A great time was had by all as this was K5YAC's first Field Day outing, and
K5YAA's first in 43 years where he was involved in station setup.  The kids
learned a bit more about radio, and also got to enjoy a kids day outing to
Woolarock wildlife reservation.

Score does not include 150 bonus points for operating in a public place and web
submittal of log.  To view some of our FD photos please visit
http://www.patriotdigital.net/fd07.html