[3830] IARU VE7RAC(@VE7UF) Headquarters HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU VE7RAC(@VE7UF) Headquarters HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:04:05 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: VE7RAC
Operator(s): VA7AN, VE7FO, VE7UF
Station: VE7UF

Class: Headquarters HP
QTH: Courtenay, BC
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:   19      2      5       0
   80:  147     21     15       8
   40:  271     91     23       8
   20:  328    552     29      21
   15:   97     34     10       3
   10:   20      0      4       2
-------------------------------------
Total:  882    700     86      42  Total Score = 634,368

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Well, that was fun.  We were a little late getting this organized but, to our

delight and thanks to Ed Frazer, VE7EF, our RAC Director, we were able to be

the RAC HQ station.

We had hoped to muster 5 ops for this one but two couldn't make it so our

shifts were 8 hrs on and 4 off.

VE7UF isn't set up for phone contesting so I arrived on Fri to try to get

everything going, including the sending of wav files for CQing, etc.   This

took quite a bit longer than I expected and it was an hour into the contest by

the time we got the ssb position functioning properly.

We were pretty excited on Fri evening to hear 20 wide open to Eu.  Sadly, the

excitement didn't last.  Worked very little Eu.

Had a great run on 20 ssb on Sat aft for a few hours. Pretty well all NA

though, with a sprinkling of SA.  A lot of the signals were pretty much in the

mud.  Had the short term rate up to 283/hr which is far and away the best I've

ever done.  By the time I'd finished my shift I was pooped.  Gives me an even

greater appreciation of those ops who can maintain high rates for hours and

hours.

We were fortunate that VA7AN was able to join us.  Doug has been away from

contesting for many years and this was his second outing from VE7UF.  He was

pretty impressed by the operating and logging automation provided by N1MM.

Welcome back, Doug.

As always, the gear at VE7UF performed flawlessly (except for a sticky key on

a keyboard which generated a certain amount of excitement).  Oh, and the 80m 4

square doesn't like the phone band.

Had to explain a surprising number of times that 59 RAC means we're a HQ

station.  Would have been nice to have a call with HQ in it but VE7HQ and

VA7HQ are already taken.

All in all, a really good time.  We're pretty happy with our score, given the

conditions.  Mults really sucked, though.

73 and thanks for all the Qs.

Jim Smith  VE7FO