[3830] IOTA G4FAL SO24Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g4fal@riverauto.co.uk
Subject: [3830] IOTA G4FAL SO24Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 04:44:00 -0700
                    IOTA Contest

Call: G4FAL
Operator(s): G4FAL
Station: G4FAL

Class: SO24Mixed HP
QTH: Sheffield EU005
Operating Time (hrs): 23

   80:   62       26     116       30
   40:  103       32      67       30
   20:  268       34     106       29
   15:   63       22      25       12
   10:    8        4       7        3
Total:  504      118     321      104  Total Score = 1,255,410

Club: Sheffield ARC

Comments:

I tried to operate for 24 hours and found that I was still coherent at 11:59 UTC
on Sunday when I had expected to be too tired to think.

Aerials: 80m and 40m dipoles, 20m - 10m 2-ele tribander at 45 feet
Rig: FT2K and Quadra
Software: Wintest version 3.13 for one hour then Wintest 3.10. (Unfortunately I
had downloaded the bad version last Wednesday (unlucky 13) which had a horrid
problem with IOTA island idents which were not correctly copied to later QSOs
with a previously worked station). This was just bad timing but lost me most of
an hour. I plugged a high res monitor into my laptop and it was great to spread
all the little windows all over the screen. Not being familiar with Wintest, it
took me a while to find out how to speed up the CW (alt F9/F10) and only after
20 hours did I find where the current speed is shown!

The canine radiology was poor but there were plenty of European islands to
work. I struggled with running a frequency as I only have "domestic" aerials -
also running gets lots of 3 point contacts and few multipliers.

On 80m someone came back to me as G4FKA saying he thought I was Geoff - a
couple of minutes later Geoff called me - weird eh?

Thanks to all for the contacts and hope to see you next year.