[3830] WAE CW NN3W(@N3HBX) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nn3w@cox.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW NN3W(@N3HBX) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:11:21 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): NN3W
Station: N3HBX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

   80:  101   101   128
   40:  448   447   135
   20:  668   668   106
   15:  134   134    60
   10:    5     5    10
-------------------------
Total: 1356  1355   439  Total Score = 1,190,129

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Ugh....

Thanks to John Evans N3HBX for giving me the key to the Poolesville station.
John took at least two direct lightning hits in the past two weeks, and a lot
of climbing and time had to be expended to get things back in order.

This contest was painful.  The noise on Friday was A.W.F.U.L.  The lack of
openings on 15 and 10 was bothersome.  Propagation was even worse than last
year, which wasn't good.  Rates were decent on Saturday and deplorable on
Sunday - 15 to 20 an hour is not fun.  In retrospect, as long as 10 and 15 are
going to be el stinko, I'm going to consider taking SMALL off time chunks at
night given that I was cranking them out at 80 an hour at 0530z...

On the other hand, the new antennas work well, and that is reflected in a much
improved low band count over last year.

Enjoyed being called by OJ0B for my last contact at 2355 on Sunday.

Anyhow.  A few thoughts......

1) People, do NOT leave the frequency if folks do not send TU or QSL at the end
of a QSO (or some other confirmation).  I had to trash close to a dozen contacts
as folks didn't stick around to confirm certain pieces of info.

2) Consider NOT asking "QTC?" when its plainly obvious that there are a stack
of callers on the running station.

3) Just because I stopped transmitting for 5 seconds (i.e., to pick up my
drink), it does not mean I've ceded the frequency.  I had that happen at least
three times.  On the other hand, if you've disappeared for 45 seconds to go
play SO2R, don't expect your QRG frequency to be free when you get back.

Here's to SUNSPOTS!