[3830] NAQP SSB AA4LR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4lr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB AA4LR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:12:44 -0700

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC #1

Comments:

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S/A743 at 15m (10m-40m)
Shunt-fed 15m tower (80m-160m)
R7000 at 2.5m (10m-40m)
Doublet at 10m (40m-160m)
Half-size single K9AY loop pointed North

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100 w/ KAT100 running 100 watts
Kenwood TS430S w/ AT250 running 100 watts
K1KP-style voice keyer (1 message)

Comments:

I have never worked so darned hard for such a disappointing score. Conditions
were really el-stinko. This is probably the lowest of the low for the sunspot
low. Ugh! I expected 10m to be non-existant, but 15m was as well. 15m was open,
but tremendously long. I was lucky to move WA4VJC to 10m for my only contact
there.

20m is usually the big money band in a domestic phone contests from this part
of the country. However, 20m was already long by 1830z.

So, that left 40m. Ah! 40m! It was incredible! Usually I dread 40m in a phone
contest -- too many high-powered broadcasters. At 21-22z, 40m seemed its normal
self, although a bit early. I took a break around 23z, and got back on 40m at
00z.

The next three hours were incredible -- I averaged 79 Q/hr. The rate meter
stayed quite high most of the time. People kept calling in. I wish the whole
contest could have been like those three hours.

80m was very noisy, and working stations on 160m generally required several
repeats because of the noise. Curiously, some CQs on 160m were productive, but
not on 80m. I haven't figured that out yet.

I was "chased" away twice in the vicinity of 7185 kHz. First time, someone
called in, worked me, and let me know there was some kind of net just a couple
of kHz below that was running all day. He was really polite, so I told him I
would move up the band and give him some room.

Second time, I had just found a modestly clear frequency, and started calling
CQ. I had worked a couple of stations, and then a fellow called in. He asked my
why is it that all these contesters can get on with their kilowatts and take up
the entire band. He complained that I was blocking out the mobiles with my
kilowatt splatter just a couple of kHz down. I told him, for the record, I was
running 100 watts, and I had asked if the frequency was in use before I
started. I moved anyway, in part due to the first guy who asked me politely. I
found a better frequency a bit higher in the band.

Best moment was working Jack, W6FB. I haven't seen Jack in years, and only
occasionally exchange e-mail. It was good to hear him on the air.

I had expected to work our club station W4AN active at NQ4I running M/2. But I
never heard them, not even once. That's unusual.

The half-size single K9AY loop was incredibly useful on 40m. It often made the
difference between lots of fills and getting the exchange the first time.

I really worked the second radio pretty hard. With the relatively lousy
antennas on the second radio, it only resulted in about 20 QSOs, but it kept me
busy.