[3830] NA Sprint CW N5DO HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW N5DO HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 05:39:40 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   60
   40:  111
   20:   95
---------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers Dashers

Comments:

I had trouble getting set up for this one; two hours before the contest I found
that one of my FT1000MPs would only put out 16 watts on 20M and the second one
seemed chirpy.  Fortunately I borrowed a rig from K5FD and went SO1R, which in
my case may be better than SO2R anyway.  I decided to try high power again
(last did hp in 2001), but my big linear was not working either, so I used an
old Dentron GLA-1000, which put out about 500 watts.  I honestly did not notice
any dramatic improvement with high power; in February 2004 (with better
conditions) I had a higher score with low power, but I think if I had been low
power this time I would have had a lower score.

My rate was good for the first two hours (80 and 82) but dropped significantly
the last two hours (48 and 57).  I had a particularly hard time hearing on 80M.
 Multipliers seemed easier to come by this time but I somehow missed N4AF and
the NC mult.  I heard him once, on 80M.  It is surprising to me that he could
make 340 QSOs and I only heard him one time.

I'm looking forward to the SSB Sprint, and wish more CW Sprinters would try it.
 It really is fun, although admittedly not as much as CW.