[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TEO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jdklein@hewitt.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TEO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 07:08:50 -0700
                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CT/FN31
Operating Time (hrs): 27

    6:  184    45
    2:  329    56
  222:  103    37
  432:  156    41
  903:   57    25
  1.2:   73    28
  2.3:   37    19
  3.4:   30    18
  5.7:   16    12
  10G:    8     6
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  993   287  Total Score = 512,295

Club:

Comments:

For the last few years I've been very fortunate as I've had relatively few rig
problems during contests. This summer the roof caved in as there were more
problems than ever. I managed to fix most of them by the time the contest
started but my 2.3 ghz amp came back from being repaired.....at 2:30 pm on
Saturday. I had to laugh at that one - the rig is on the tower so no way to do
anything with it. Anyway, it was an exhausting summer of repair......

Band condx were interesting - the front to my north came within a few miles of
my QTH on Saturday evening. I was watching all the rain and T-storms on doppler
radar. Fortunately they stopped just short of me. Condx toward the heavy rains -
N, NW and W were poor most of the weekend. But being squeezed between 2 fronts
(another major front was off the coast) made condx fairly good from late
Saturday evening until mid-day Sunday toward the SW. The WA1ZMS/b (FM07) on 2m
is usually s7 here but at 2:30 am local time it was 30 over s9. I didn't work
anything all that unusual at that point but around 6 am I  did work EM93, EM85
and EM95 (through 2.3 ghz). No real DX after that but there were enhanced sigs
especially on the microwaves toward FM18,19 etc. Because of that, I was able to
work a lot more on 2.3 ghz than I would have thought without the amplifier.
Still it was frustrating to hear a dozen q5 stations on that band that coulnd't
hear me. W4IY (FM08) and K8EP (FM09)had huge sigs throughout the day on Sunday -
EP was s9 off the back of the antennas for hours on the bottom 4! The Hepburn
map looked good for Sunday night but alas nothing came to pass and things were
fairly average after noontime Sunday.

Murphy struck on Saturday night with another rig failure - 5 and 10 ghz just
stopped working. After 45 minutes off the air checking as much as I could in
the shack (xvtrs are tower mounted) 5 ghz came back to life but 10 ghz remained
off for the rest of the contest.

Anyway, fun as always. Tnx for the Q's! Hoping Murphy takes a  vacation next
summer....

Jeff