[3830] ARRL Sep VHF W3DHJ/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF W3DHJ/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:52:01 -0700

Club:

Comments:

RoverLog QSOs by Activated Grid:
Grid    QSOs
DM78    15
DM87    29
DM88    15
DM77    22

RoverLog Score Summary, Using new rover rules:
Band    QSOs    Value   QSOPts  Mults
50      26      1       26      9
144     55      1       55      9

Grids activated:                4

Totals: 81              81      22

               Claimed Score: 1782

My rover web page:  http://jonz.net/W3DHJ/vhfrover.html

I had a late Saturday 6M opening into DM64-73-74-75-85 which REALLY
helped.  However, there weren't many operators on the air in those grids
during the opening.  College football, do you suppose?

All that work and I only get 9 grid multipliers on 6M and another 9 on
2M.  It sure felt like I did better than that, but the logs don't lie.

High/Low-Lights:

Using the N8XJK 12 Volt Boost Regulator.  http://www.tgelectronics.org/
That sucker is FANTASTIC!   IJFW!   Recommended.

Working some new fellers that I had not worked before.  And, working
several fellers that were site- and/or antenna-challenged on either 6M
or 2M.  GREAT SPIRIT, that!

I had power problems late on Saturday.  Shortly after moving from DM87
to DM77 (grid #3 for the day), I suffered an intermittent, but
persistent, LARGE voltage drop on the 12VDC running to the gear.  I
aborted Saturday's operation early -- making only 10 contacts from DM77
and NO contacts from DM78.

So, Sunday morning -- instead of rovering -- I re-did the dedicated
12VDC lines from the battery posts into the passenger compartment.  A
visual inspection showed nothing, and the physical dis-assembly and
re-assembly of the battery post connectors, the spade connectors on the
battery post connectors, and the in-line, blade-style fuse holders
revealed no problems.

But, something I (re)did fixed it, because I had no problems for the final
nine hours I put in on Sunday.

I did get desperate several times and moved to 146.46/.49/.55/.58 and
called "CQ" -- and I won't ever let that occur again.  The results were
zilch and I doubt if anyone there would know what a "CQ" was....  HI!HI!

I did not get the memo that announced that everybody was going to quit
the contest 1 1/2 hours early.  My last contact was with N0LL at 0128Z.
I heard no other sigs after that -- maybe some ESP scatter on 6m.