[3830] CaQP W8MJ SOFixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8mj@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP W8MJ SOFixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 19:13:24 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: W8MJ
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: W8MJ

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 22
Radios: SO2R

  160:    4      0
   80:   61     18
   40:   87     38
   20:  118    128
   15:   83    116
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Wasn't sure what to expect at the start of this one.  Got on an hour before
start up checking the bands and very little pre-contest activity.  Didn't hear
a thing on 15 meters which was not a good sign.  While 20 meters is ok from
here it does not play as well as 15 meters does.  A few minutes before start up
I worked N6MJ and he gave me a 57 report on SSB.  That was not a good sign of
things to come.  Started out on 20 like everyone else and the band was pretty
difficult to sustain a run from here.  There was a lot of QSB on my signal, and
though I felt I was loud and I really wasn't.  Fifteen open up here shortly
after 1915Z and was good up to 2200Z and then closed down.  So it was back to
20 which was a real struggle from here.  A lot of S&P the entire weekend.  Did
a lot of Cqing but not very many answers to those cq's.  Band conditions seem
to favor the Northeast and Southern stations much more, especially on 20
meters.  Twenty closed down early from here and I was working 40 meters at
2330Z from here. Was on 40 meters until 0230Z when I started working 80 meters
on the 2nd radio.  It was pretty much 40 and 80 for the rest of the first
night. I was 120 q's behind last years score at the end of the first night.
Suprisenly, I had 57 of the counties logged by the end of the first night with
only Colusa left to fill out the counties.  I ended up shutting down at 0740Z
the first night.  Got back on at 1232Z and worked 40 meters until 20 finally
opened up at 1430Z from here, which is extremely late.  Fifteen did not open up
until 1730Z from here on Sunday but not very many stations were on.  The signals
were very strong here (20 over at times).  I think a lot of stations stayed away
from 15 thinking it was not open when it actually was.  I tried cqing several
times but really no answers.  Fifteen really plays well from here, and it did
stay open right up to the end.  I think if a lot more stations tried it they
would have found it to be open.  One thing missing from here was the casual
operator coming by and giving out a qso contact.  That was really missing this
year, and it show up in the final score.  Another factor that played real heavy
was the lack of propagation to the Midwest as compared to prior years, which has
to be attributed to the band cycle conditions.

At times you can have all the necessary equipment and setup, but if the
propagation isn't there, it just isn't going to happen.  The entire weekend was
a struggle.  A lot of S&P the majority of the weekend.

Kudo's to K6AQL for giving out the sweep of the counties on Sunday morning on
40 meter CW with # 13 from Colusa County.  After a long hard weekend it was
nice to at least walk away with a sweep of the counties. K6AQL had a great
signal again this year whenever I worked him.  Whatever setup he has don't
change it, it is working very well for you.  A big thanks to KS5A mobile as
well for being there and giving out much needed counties.

All in all a very grueling weekend, but I always enjoy being involved with CQP.
If my recollection serves me right, I have been doing CQP since 1990. One may
ask what makes a guy to do this year after year.  Well all I can say is the
enjoyment of being in the hunt (competition), getting a sweep of the counties,
and of course a great bottle of wine.

Congrats to WD5K on a great Low Power Score, and to N4PN for a great High Power
Score. What's nice is we get to do this all over again next year. As always I
will plan on being there. Until then......

73's Ken W8MJ