[3830] CaQP K2DBK SOFixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2dbk@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP K2DBK SOFixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 09:19:46 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: K2DBK
Operator(s): K2DBK
Station: K2DBK

Class: SOFixed LP
QTH: NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:
   80:    2
   40:    7      4
   20:   59     41
   15:   21      3
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:   89     48  Mults = 47  Total Score = 17,061

Club:

Comments:

Boy, were the conditions awful for this contest! I really had to work for each
and every contact, though, as usual, some more than others. Working 100w into a
G5RV at this point in the solar cycle is really a challenge. I'm sure that I've
got a few busted entries in my log because of this, but working anything is
better than working nothing.

Despite the conditions, I did have a good time, and made some adjustments to my
operating. First, I did a lot more CW than I normally would. I'm definitely not
a big CW op, but with the conditions the way they were, I found that it was far
more efficient (mostly) to work CW than to work phone. Second, I found that it
does pay to check for band openings. It's been quite a while since I've done
any real operating at all on anything higher then 17m, but I figured that I'd
check out 15m to see what was there, and it proved to be worthwhile. While not
what I'd call crowed, the stations that were there weren't working many folks,
so I was able to at least be heard on the first call, even if it took a few
tries to get the exchange through. The QSB on 15 was pretty awful, so the trick
seemed to be to time it just right so that I could get my exchange across. (Gee,
I'll bet I'm not the first person to think of that.)

Despite the conditions, this actually was a personal best in the CQP for me, so
maybe I'm finally learning a thing or two about contesting.

I'm glad I could spend some time over the weekend to hand out points, and
thanks to everyone that worked me, especially those who took time (sometimes a
lot of time) to pull me out of the mud.

See you all next year!