[3830] CaQP W6ML(W6KC) SOCntyExp HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6kc@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP W6ML(W6KC) SOCntyExp HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 00:51:18 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: W6ML
Operator(s): W6KC
Station: W6ML

Class: SOCntyExp HP
QTH: Mono County
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:  157     51
   40:  272     84
   20:  335    252
   15:   18      2
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Eastside Contest Group

Comments:

This was my 16th consecutive year operating a CQP county expedition from Mammoth
Lakes in Mono County.  On Wednesday I made the 300 mile drive from my home QTH
to Mammoth...as I crossed from Inyo County into Mono County I noticed a nice
new sign that said "Welcome to Mono County - Wild by Nature."  As it turned out
nature was wild, mainly while I was trying to setup my wire antennas in the pine
trees.  On Thursday the wind was really strong which made it very difficult to
make my sling shot launched guy lines hit the mark.  It took all day just to
get my three dipoles up.  I didn't even try to get my 3 element 15M wire beam
up...too much wind.  We'll, I thought, 15M will probably be as bad as 10M so
might as well just go with a 15M dipole this year.

On Friday I planned to launch my 3 element 20M wire beam, but it snowed all day
and the temperature never got out of the low 20s F.  Since I was still wiped out
from Thursday's effort, I decided to just go with my dipoles...too much snow,
cold and wind.  At least the nap felt great!

Saturday morning I went outside to see how my dipoles survived Friday's snow
storm.  The first thing I notice was a large bear paw impression in the snow on
my porch.  I didn't actually see the bear on my porch, but on Monday as I was
packing up, one of my neighbors told me that they saw a very large bear by my
porch, so that keeps my recent streak of bear encounters during CQP going for
another year.  Lucky I didn't decide to go outside at the wrong time.

Saturday morning, before CQP started I called CQ on 15M...nothing.  I moved to
20M and called CQ and had a nice QSO with KH6LC.  Since last year Hawaii was my
last mult with one minute left in CQP, I made sure that I would get the HI mult
this year by chatting with KH6LC for a couple more minutes so I could log him
as my first QSO.  Of course this year I had a bunch of HI QSOs on all the
bands.

I stayed on 20M SSB for a while, but soon confirmed that a my 20M dipole was
not going to be that great on SSB, so I spent most of the afternoon on 20M CW.
I never could quite catch any of the 15M openings.  Sunday morning I was
surprised by a call on 20M SSB from VY1WR who gave me his #39 and the NT mult,
but since I never found ND and SK for my last two mults...no sweep this year.
I finished with over 450 QSOs below my Mono County record set last
year...guessed I really missed my wire beams and 15M propagation.

As always, CQP was lots of fun and it was nice to have eye ball and CQP QSOs
with the other active Mono County hams, W6SX and W7AB/W7FD at W6M.

Thanks to all!

73,

Jim, W6KC @ W6ML, Mammoth Lakes, Mono County

see comments with pictures at http://www.vistasierra.com/w6ml/cqp2007.htm