[3830] NA Sprint RTTY NN7SS(K6UFO) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ufo@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint RTTY NN7SS(K6UFO) QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 12:51:03 -0700
                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest

Call: NN7SS
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: NN7SS

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:  13
   40:  46
   20:  26
---------------------
Total:  85     Mults = 19  Total Score = 1,615

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

Brother, that was hard work!

I operated QRP, which I usually enjoy, and to evaluate
the antenna performance before making some changes. But
QSOs were very hard to come by, and even people I heard
well couldn't hear me. Sure, I would get beat out in a
pileup, but when they just CQ, CQ back at me it was
discouraging... My score is less than half what it was
when going QRP in March '05.

20m faded early (before the contest?) and 40m was all I
could use for hours. 80m was quite useless here in the
Pacific Northwest, since the sun was still up and little
could be heard - let alone worked at QRP.

Some surprising loud signals from K6TD (new antennas!),
W1UE (my only W1, W2 or W3!), and W0YK, but they were often
working more legal dupes than listening for a weak signal.
I hope the legal dupe rule goes away soon to encourage more
S&P and bring strategy in line with the other Sprints.
I heard several VE3's and the VE9 but could never get a
response.

That said, it was still a pleasure to get a complete QSO-
dance performed, and the operators all seemed top-notch and
trying hard. Thanks for the QSOs!

NN7SS Burt (op K6UFO Mork!)

Two Yaesu FT-1000MPs turned down to 5w.
3-el SteppIR at 55'
Cushcraft 40-2CD yagi at 50'
80-meter half-sloper
Writelog and MMTTY software

QSOs by hour and band:
          80M     40M     20M    Total   Cumm
0000Z    ---+-      8      19       27     27
0100Z       1      16       7       24     51
0200Z       4      10       -       14     65
0300Z       8      12       -       20     85
Total:     13      46      26