[3830] SS CW W1NN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W1NN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 05:19:35 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  453
   40:  253
   20:  145
   15:   34
   10:
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This was my first serious contest effort from the my new QTH and my first
serious SS effort in around 15 years. Also, my first SS from Ohio in 45 years
(except for a few contacts last year).

I spent a good bit of time thinking about and working on antennas and the
station setup over the past few weeks and it really paid off.  I ended up with
four wires - a 204' long G5RV mostly for 80, a 20 meter dipole fed with ladder
line, a 40 meter dipole, and a 40 meter elevated ground plane.  I was
especially concerned with 80 meters and I had to use over 250' of ladder line
to get the antenna on the highest tree I have, but it was worth the effort.  I
felt fairly loud, considering I was LP.

I need to think more about off-time strategy if I'm going to be serious about
this contest in the future.  I struggled through 2-3 really bad hours when I
probably should have been taking time off.  I also need to work on my SO2R
setup.  Improvements in these areas should allow me to get over the 1,000 Q
mark.

It was exactly 50 years ago that I got my Novice license, so this contest was a
celebration of sorts.  It was nice to work so many other Check 57 ops.  Happy
Anniversary, guys!

73,

Hal W1NN (ex KN8HVT)