[3830] SS CW W4PM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hmmjr@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW W4PM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 06:08:49 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W4PM
Operator(s): W4PM
Station: W4PM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 16

------------
  160:
   80:  359
   40:  110
   20:  181
   15:    4
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Rig: Ten Tec Omni VII, Ameritron ALS-600 @ 400 Watts
Antenna: 176' Tuned Doublet @ 60'

I started late, around midnight Saturday night, and quit early Sunday evening
but managed to get in 16 hours operating time.  80M was excellent Saturday
night/Sunday morning and 20M was very good Sunday afternoon.  I never could get
much going on 40M for some reason.  I took a listen on 15M but propagation was
not very good and I mainly was hearing stations I'd already worked.

I had hoped to get a sweep but missed NT.  I think I heard stations calling one
on 15M Sunday afternoon but he was too weak to copy well enough here to try a
QSO. Perhaps if I had a yagi I could have snagged him.  Even so, getting 79
sections is a personal best as was the QSO total. I was going to stop at 600
QSO's but the 100,000 point plateau was just ahead so I kept plugging along
until that was realized.

I was amazed at the big signals coming from the many QRP stations I worked.  It
just goes to show we need to do more more with antennas before plunking down the
bucks for a big amp.

I was very impressed with the performance of my new Omni VII.  The close in big
signals didn't seem to bother it one bit.  This is one sweet radio!

CU in the next CW contest,
Puck, W4PM