[3830] SS CW KR2Q Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW KR2Q Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 15:40:30 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): KR2Q
Station: KR2Q

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: fn20ru NNJ
Operating Time (hrs): 23

------------
  160:
   80:  251
   40:  117
   20:  166
   15:    9
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

First, congrats to Tor and Kirk.  WOW!

And VFB to the other guys in the top ten!  Awesome job!

I was pretty psyched for this one.  Last year was my first serious venture into
SS and I had a pretty good learning experience.  This year was definitely going
to be better!

I got some nice input on time strategy from many you and I really thank you for
that!  N2NC and K5ZD even sent me their previous logs for scrutiny!  I spend
nearly 30 minutes on the LL with W2GD while he was driving around, telling how
to win...or at least what had worked for him.  N2NC pointed me to an article he
wrote about winning strategies for SS.  Short but sweet.

It was clear from the above that 40m would be key, but "all I had" was 2L at 80
feet and everybody was telling me to put up something "low."  N2NC even called
me a few hours before the start to tell me that he had modeled my 2L and 80
feet and that it had a "bad" null for high angle.

So on Saturday afternoon I set about to put up a "low" 40m antenna.  I did and
it was WAY louder than the yagi on the locals in mid-afternoon.  Yup...I was
going to rock on this one!

As the SS started, I just didn't feel anything special...quite the opposite of
what Kirk experienced.  It just seemed like a real slog.  And that's pretty
much how it felt for the entire time.

Of course, it didn't help that I couldn't stay awake as per all of the great
tips I had received (my last Q before going to bed was as 0559).  And even
worse, I didn't get back into the chair until 1254!  :-(  But I could still put
in a LONGER effort than last year, where I only did 18 hours.

As you can see from my score posting, 40m just did NOT play here.  I made
exactly ONE qso on the "low" 40m antenna (because it was louder).  Compared to
the other QRP scores, my breakdown just doesn't make any sense.

So, despite putting in 5 more hours than last year, I almost made the same
score as last year (yuck).  I only made a few more Q's and worked 2 fewer
mults.  :-(

Here is what I experienced when working other QRPers.  Not very uplifting.

DATE            TIME   SENT     WKD     RX'ED   Q's BEHIND
11/3/2007       2140    26      KB7Q    27      1
11/3/2007       2145    30      N4OGW   45      15
11/4/2007       0436    225     K4RO    344     119
11/4/2007       0503    237     K3AN    247     10
11/4/2007       0525    243     KC5R    296     53
11/4/2007       1512    323     N4JF    327     4
11/4/2007       1806    382     K0PC    384     2
11/4/2007       1927    410     N7IR    444     34
11/4/2007       2025    419     W6JTI   470     51

All very familiar calls.  And I'm sure there are still some others who passed
me by.  I worked 35 other QRPers...I'll be VERY lucky to make the top ten (and
I doubt that it will happen).

Working Kirk 7 hours in was downright depressing!

I missed NL, NT, and AK (never even heard NT).

Again, congrats to all the winners!

de Doug KR2Q