[3830] SS CW WI9WI Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] SS CW WI9WI Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:58:42 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 23
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  114
   40:  226
   20:  206
   15:   13
   10:
------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

This has got to be the bottom of the cycle. Last year I worked 87 (of 589 QRP
also) QSOs on 15. This year I had 13, although the most important one was J,
VY1JA,  Sunday afternoon. I started on 15 and worked the band out in a few
minutes, all of 10 QSOs, but I got KH6 and KL7 there quickly. Then it was slug
it out with the big boys on 20 and 40 in the day and 40 and 80 at nite. Things
were slow so I worked hard at practicing my virtually nonexistant 2 radio
skills. After years of assembling a lot of 2 radio equipment, SO2R box,
filters, decoders, etc. I finally got it all working in a fairly smooth manner.
I've used 2 radios before but mostly for listening for band openings and looking
for mults. This time I actually made more than a couple of QSOs. Most were on 20
while running on 40 during the day. From 1500 until 1800 Sunday AM I was able to
CQ on 7055 without losing the frequency and work stations on the second radio.
Made 110 QSOs, 82 on 40 and 28 on 20. I had 36 second radio QSOs for the
weekend, a previously unheard of number for this operator. Total QSOs were 559
with 241 running, and 318 by S&P. Got all the mults except VE4. I heard VE4GV
at one point but he was S&P and I couldn't bait him into a QSO. Never heard
Kelly or any other VE4 in spite of looking a lot the last 6 hours. I miss
Derrick VE4VV. The 2 previous times I made a sweep QRP he was my last mult on
Sunday evening. He was with KK9K, K5KG and myself at the J7OJ operation for
CQWW CW in 2004. RIP OM.

Gear:
Radio 1: IC-765
80 m inv V at 75 ft
40 m 2 el at 100 ft
20 m 4 el at 110 ft, C3E NE at 65 ft, A3 SE at 35 ft
20/15/10 m C19 at 55 ft plus C3E and A3

Radio 2: IC-7000
OCF 135 ft dipole  at 45 ft for 80/40/20. Loads well without tuner.

Thanks for all the Qs and the patience of many pulling out my signal,
especially on 80.

73

Jim
WI9WI