[3830] SS CW N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 06:46:47 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~15

------------
  160:    0
   80:  441
   40:  139
   20:  331
   15:   14
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My excuse is that I'm having some arthritic back problems. I had a
 steroid injection into my spine Friday and came home to put up a
 40M sloping dipole. It went pretty smoothly, but the post procedure
 pain was pretty bothersome Friday evening into Saturday morning.
 Antenna work probably should have waited.
   I had intended to operate LP, but set up the exchange as B without
 realizing the error. I made 8 Q's before it sunk in, so just flipped
 on the amp and kept going. I probably had one of my best 2nd hours
 ever thanks to a good run around 14030 with some sporadic E helping
 to extend coverage into SC/TN south and west from there; rate was 82.
 20 was dying at 2330 and rather than resort to a fairly slow S&P on 40,
 I decided to go down to 80 which was next to empty, but CQ's brought
 enough answers to hold me there. Rates the rest of the evening until 04Z
 when I quit were in the mid to upper 70's. Condx from 24Z until 02Z
 were really dreadful with a long skip zone extending past most 2's and
 8's and even south over NC (K4QPL who is always pretty loud was near the
 noise and even K2AV in NC was weakish). With better condx, I probably
 could have run in the 80's range, lots of repeats and QSB.
   Sunday, I resumed at about 12Z and things went pretty well until 15Z
 when the 40M running dried up. It seemed like no one would answer CQ's
 except for maybe a 10-15 minute run in the extra band on 20. I tried 15
 which was nearly dead, then back to 40 with no joy, but still managed 50
 QSO's somehow. Lethargy and lack of interest set in for the rest of the
 day and only decent hour was 20Z when the west coast started to really
 get loud on 20. I also decided that some things were needed from the
 local Wal Mart. This is not highly recommended when contest fatigued.
   I had a pretty easy time with the sweep except NT. Bob, K3MQ called
 at 0303Z from DE for number 77, all of which called me except for VI
 which was plentiful to put it mildly. PVRC'ers take note, they WILL
 call; don't sweat hunting for sections until slow times around
 afternoon Sunday. Needing PR, PAC, and NT, I looked for WP3R on 20
 Sunday and found NP4Z instead, Rich came later. I scanned 15 around 17Z
 to work what I could and found KH6 high in the band and alone; later,
 2 more HI stations called me on 20. Condx into Canada sounded closed in
 a word except for MAR and NL on Sunday afternoon. One sweep of the band
 yielded no western VE signals heard at all. Finally, past 21Z, the
 usually booming signal of KL7WV was found reduced to S4-5. As dumb luck
 would have it I found and empty spot around 14029 and tried a few CQ's
 to have someone nicely ask me to "Pse QSY, VY1 here". I swung the
 beam another 30 deg north and found someone around mental telepathy
 level in and out of total oblivion. With QRM to boot, I had his exchange
 before his call, but hope that I copied VY1EI's info correctly. It
 was really a struggle. He was so weak, there was no pile-up.
   Thanks for the Q's and calls. It was nice to see a decent PVRC turnout;
 it's hard to work your own club with the skip zones so long. Come on
 sunspots!