[3830] SS SSB VO1HE Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1he@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VO1HE Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 06:02:57 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VO1HE
Operator(s): VO1HE
Station: VO1HE

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: The Rock
Operating Time (hrs): 15

------------
  160:    0
   80:   33
   40:   15
   20:  669
   15:    8
   10:    0
------------

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

VO1HE

Single Operator All Band High Power Unassisted

ARRL Section : NL
Club/Team : East Coast Canada Contest Club

Band         QSOs        Pts      Sec
  3.5          33         66       32
    7          15         30       14
   14         669       1338       31
   21           8         16        0
Total         725       1450       77

Score : 111,650

Rig : FT-920
Amp: SB-220
Software: N1MM Logger V7.11.0
Antennas : 3 Element SteppIR 6M-40M and Coax Resonator 80M dipole

Soapbox :

This turned out pretty good.

My beam was damaged just before the SS CW contest and I had to replace the
driven element motor. I reinstalled the 6-20 motor so I could get on for the
contest but it's hard to do all band when you don't have antennae for them. I
received my replacement motor on Friday, which turned out to be a very nice
day. 10C and overcast. After 6 hours I had the replacement motor back up and
ready. I decided to crank the tower back up to be ready for the contest in case
I didn't get the time to do it the next day. That turned out to be a decision
that I may have lived to regret. I have an anemometer at the top of my tower
and it registered 97kph early Saturday morning as the warm front moved through.
Heavy rain came along for the ride. Luckily, by noon or so, the wind had died
down so I was ready to go.

I spent the first few hours poking around looking for multipliers. I managed to
get 40 or so by early Saturday so I thought this would be a good time to get on
20 and start running. I could hear Europe booming in but not a lot of NA
stations. I pointed west, found a fairly clear frequency and started running at
around 1230UTC. I took my first break, and finished my breakfast, at 1735.
According to the log, I had over an hour with more than 2 per minute. Not bad
with this exchange.

Missed VY1, KL7 and VE4. I heard a VE4 S&Ping on 20 but couldn't track him
down. I heard the pileup for VY1JA but I guess they were a bit rowdy as he
apparently just shut down or moved off somewhere. I found another frequency to
run in the hopes that these guys would find me but no luck. Heard a KL7 but I
think he was in Oregon. He faded out after I heard the callsign and I never
managed to get him anyway.

Anyway, I had fun. Thanks for the contacts and sorry to anyone who missed me.
There were a few other VO1s on so NL shouldn't have been too hard to find. Even
Rick K6VVA found me :)

CU in CQWW CW,

73 -- Paul VO1HE