[3830] SS SSB K3MIM(@W3LPL) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K3MIM@ARRL.NET
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K3MIM(@W3LPL) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:52:27 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K3MIM
Operator(s): K3MIM
Station: W3LPL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

------------
  160:
   80:  493
   40:  629
   20:  189
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Below are summaries and a few comments re the now (in)famous
"Father (w3idt) / Daughter (k3mim) " ss ssb operation at W3LPL.

W3IDT: BAND    QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS
        80      419      838        -
        40      678     1356        -
        20      254      508        -
     -----------------------------------
      Totals   1351     2702       80  Score:  216,160

K3MIM: BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS
        80      493      986        -
        40      629     1258        -
        20      189      378        -
     -----------------------------------
      Totals   1311     2622       80  Score:  209,760

Both Single Operator, High Power, Unassisted.

Comments or HighLights and LowLights:
1. Once again, we thank Frank (w3lpl) for providing his station and creating
the rather special environment (2 separate networks of four radios / computers
each - though we never did use 15m), and his xyl Phyllis for letting us invade
her home on what should be an "off weekend".

2. Slightly (30/40 Qs) below last year. However this year I (IDT) will inspect
the Cabrillo files carefully (and not send in logs which were corrupted in
conversion and processing as last year) so the final scores will be higher than
last year.

3. We found what appears to be a bug in CT v10 (to which w3lpl recent switched
from v9): The first time we switched bands the serial number fields went
bonkers on both networks.  While I (IDT) went to get Frank so we could find the
cause and/or work-around, K3MIM calmly kept track of the next real serial number
on her clipboard and just kept going. Work-around: SETSERIAL command in call
field permits resetting the serial number field. So we used that each time we
switched bands. Reminder to self: fix the bad serial numbers in both logs!

4. Both of us got to 79 sections pretty quickly. IDT missing BC (really!), MIM
missing NL. In the middle of Sunday afternoon, a VE7 called IDT on 20 for the
sweep, the next caller was a VE7, and the next caller was a VE7! In the last
hour or two, we were going to finish up with MIM on 40 and IDT on 80 when IDT
got called by a loud, casual VE1 on 80. So we switched bands, and lo and behold
a VO1 calls MIM in the last hour for her sweep.

5. By 1800z or so we were both ahead of our last year's qso totals
(IDT:1379 / MIM:1361). Expecting typically good results in the last couple of
hours we took our respective naps Sunday afternoon. My (IDT) bad time
calculations cost MIM about 40 minutes of operating time, and then the bottom
seems to have dropped out of both 80 and 40 - our qso totals during the last
three hours are well below last year's (the VO1 calling MIM was the only good
thing about those last three hours).

6. Was nice to talk briefly with old and new friends, including recent visitors
to this area (K9YC and K9LA/AE9YL).  MIM had virtually none of the "
K...3...M...I...M" stuttering (with the emphasis on the "I") as she had last
year with her brand new call as this year she surely was in the database.

7. One real downer: Sunday afternoon some jerk starting hurling obscenities at
MIM for being a contester and preventing him from having  his regular bullshit
session... so she moved a few Kcs and this idiot followed her and the
profanities got worse.  Someone stepped in and told him to "shut his mouth"
and, being a good southern gentleman - by accent - reminded him that there is
"a lady present". (Thank you good samaritan!). She then moved 100kc or so.  (I
don't usually use language as found in the preceding paragraph, but this guy
seems to deserve it.)

Bob, w3idt, and Miriam, k3mim
--
w3idt@arrl.net