[3830] CQWW CW SV9CVY(DL6FBL) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bernd.fd@gmx.de
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW SV9CVY(DL6FBL) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:03:41 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: SV9CVY
Operator(s): DL6FBL
Station: SV9CVY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: KM25KA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  300    12       59
   80: 1104    23       82
   40: 2109    34      122
   20: 1701    33      107
   15: 1253    34      102
   10:  169     7       39
------------------------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

This was my second operation from Michael's place after CQWW SSB 2001, when a
storm had put off electricity for 10 hours and most antennas came down. Weather
was much more pleasant this time with up to 20 C in the afternoon and no winds
during the contest.
When I left Frankfurt Tuesday afternoon I had a bad start: "Aegean Airlines"
asked 480 Euros for my 48 kilos of excessive baggage (One-Way!), and being as
charming as can be didn't help... I arrived at Michael's place late in the
evening, and we started to rearrange the station cabling for my FT1000MP and
Acom 1000 I had paid that extra money for... Most of Wed, Thu and Fri was spent
for small modifications on the antennas, relaxing and having about 2000 QSOs for
warming up.

I knew that with existing propagation most of my QSOs in the contest would be
with Europe - only one point each. The signal path to W/VE is directly over EU,
and without sunspots W/VE is far away from here, so chances for good W/VE runs
were marginal. Being closer to Asia surely helped regarding signal strength,
but QSO numbers are no longer high from that part of the world.

I had decided to go for plain old SO1R (one radio) without the burden (and more
extra weight) of filters, station automation accessories and other equipment. I
had decided to run most of Saturday with only a few "multiplier expeditions"
over the bands. This went quite nicely, I had collected 3817 QSOs after the
first 24 hours - but with a moderate number of multipliers, of course. On
Sunday I tried to catch up on multipliers, yet I still tried to keep the rate
up. Only three hours (sunrise/sunset) have less than 100 QSOs, but I found
quite some elusive multipliers during these hours.
Due to the high number of intra-European contacts the average QSO point value
is only 1.69, compared to the usual 2.95 from a DX location, which would be a
final score of 12.8M points (looking much nicer than the real 7.3M, hi...)

I want to say Thank You to Michael for his hospitality, and all of you for the
QSOs during the contest. Next bigger operation will be a 17-day-long contest: I
will be part of the VP6DX operation from Ducie Island in February 2008 together
with Contesting friends DL6LAU, DL3DXX, DL8LAS (all from DR1A), ES5TV, K3NA,
N5IA, SP3DOI, SP5XVY, SV1JG, RA3AUU, UA3AB, and WA6CDR. If all is going well,
you should be able to expect a nice DX operation. More on http://www.vp6dx.com
(donations welcome, of course... :-)

73 from Crete
Ben