[3830] CQWW CW G6PZ M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, simon@attenuate.org
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW G6PZ M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 05:39:46 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G6PZ
Operator(s): G6PZ G3TJE G4MJS M/SP4ZO M0BJL M0CLW
Station: G6PZ

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Somerset
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  307    13       70
   80: 1163    24      101
   40:  908    35      139
   20: 1561    36      123
   15:  485    30      129
   10:  119     9       36
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Spent a fair few hours in the field prior to the contest sorting out the 80m TX
antenna and also erecting the DX Engineering receive 4-square; got everything
up and running first time, something we're not used to ;-)

The receive 4-square worked very well and we found it to have amazing F/B which
really helped when running NA amongst all the European QRM. It still needs some
optimisations (spacing etc). Switching to the west resulted in virtually zero
Eu QRM and improved S/N ratio making it much easier with 3-point runs.

40m conditions were not good again meaning we still aren't able to fully gauge
the MonstIR's performance; that said, we did work interesting mults between
14-15Z in broad daylight on Sunday: 9V1YC, JT1CO, HL2AEJ, 9M2CNC, T88FY, VK9AA;
all with FB sigs.

Sadly, Murphy paid us lots of visits this time around... We had no DX cluster
on both nights between about 22Z and 07Z which is reflected in our mult totals.
In addition, we had problems with 80m TX and high SWR -- was fixed quite quickly
when it was noticed that one leg of the antenna was caught around the tower.
Finally, on the Sunday, we killed the front-end of the 1000MP; three of us
worked on getting the rig back on the air and after replacing a diode, we had
an MP which was once again alive and kicking.

In last year's CQWW CW, we had great local competition with G5W... This again
occurred this year and we have both ended with very similar QSO numbers. It
would once again have been a very close score with more mults! Congratulations
to them for their performance and thanks for the competition; always makes
things interesting.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs.

73,
G6PZ Contest Group