[3830] ARRL 160 K7RAT(N6TR) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K7RAT(N6TR) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:20:30 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K7RAT
Operator(s): N6TR
Station: N6TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 805  Sections = 76  Countries = 11  Total Score = 152,598

Club: Boring Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

Wasn't rested enough to think about a full time effort - but was surprised how
good the rates held up even after making my first 300 QSOs.  Conditions to the
east coast were good both nights.  Only worked one European however, but did
put 36 JAs in the log with limited operating time in the mornings.

Missed VE4, VO1, KP4 and VE8/VY1.  I think I actually worked more KL7s than I
did VE7s!!

It's times like this that I go and look at my transmit antenna and shack my
head.  I have a 72 foot tower loaded as a vertical.  There is an 8 foot mast at
the top with a 5 element 15 at the top of the mast and a 5 element 20 at the
bottom of it.  I have about 42 radials and seem to have excellent ground.  I
recently installed a similar antenna at a friend's QTH who had a 63 foot tower
with a big tribander (plus 2 element shorty 40) on top along with an 80 meter
inverted vee.  He seems to be getting out well with only 8 random radials.  For
a low maintenance antenna that is very simple - I don't think I can beat the
performance.

Rig: Elecraft K3 - SN 00013.  Amp: Viewstar PT2500A with a pair of 3-500Zs.  RX
antennas - various beverages, all about 700 feet long - pointing at 30, 70, 120,
250 and 300 degrees.  Had some line noise to the NNW that affected the 300 and
30 degree antennas, but my MFJ 1026 noise cancelling box did a good job with it
on the JA beverage (using the TX antenna as the main antenna and the beverage as
the auxiliary antenna).

I remember operating this contest some 30 years ago with N6VI at my dad's
mountain cabin.  We always seemed to make about 360 QSOs back then.  This band
sure has a lot more activity on it these days.

There were some weak guys calling and I did my best to pull them through.
Hoepfully the ones I couldn't hear found better conditions later.

See you in the Stew coming up in 4 weeks.  http://web.jzap.com/k7rat/stew.html