[3830] ARRL 160 NE9U Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, skjasper@att.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 NE9U Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 21:13:08 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U
Station: NE9U

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Plover, WI
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 857  Sections = 79  Countries = 7  Total Score = 144,738

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

Last year I put up an inverted L the night before the 160 contest.  This year I
rigged up a receive antenna the night before.
I had recently checked the 160 RX capabilities of my 80/40 sloper, my 80/40/20
fan dipole, and my A4 yagi and found that the low fan dipole worked the best.
To help it out, Thursday night I went out and clipped an extra 100 feet or so
of wire to each leg.  My neighbor has a 200x200 lot surrounded by a chain link
fence to keep his dogs in. I spliced another wire to borrow 800 feet or so of
his fence for the weekend too!
I was able to hear lots of signals on this RX antenna that simply wasn't there
on the inverted L.   (a lot less static and better s/n ratio)   I'm sure I am
still not hearing lots of stuff that others can.  Other than a loud Italian
station, I heard no other Europe all weekend (and he CQ'd in my face).  I'm not
sure if it was the antenna or condx, but I worked about 100 more Q's this year
over last.
Improvements for next year will be to try and get more that 45 feet of vertical
out of my inverted L, and  make a "real"  160 RX antenna.

Worked everything but VE4 and logged 7 DX.

Scott  NE9U