[3830] ARRL 160 WI9WI Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 WI9WI Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 13:36:56 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Total:  QSOs = 165  Sections = 48  Countries = 1  Total Score = 16,170

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I did this one from my home in Madison. I don't have a permanent 160 antenna
here. Last year I rigged up a sort of inverted U with 130 ft of wire, about 25
ft vertical, 90 horizontal, 10 ft droop,  fed against my chain link fence. It
loaded but barely, I was able to get 35 watts or so into it through a tuner.
Was able to work some stuff, but it was useless on recieve, very noisy, so I
did almost all my listening on my tribander.

This year I built a 180 ft dipole, center fed with 450 ohm ladder line, via a
4:1 balun to the tuner. The center was about 25 ft, with 90 ft to the tree in
the front of the house, and under the cover of darkness I strung the other 90
ft over my side fence, over the neighbor's yard, and to a small tree behind
their lot. It loaded OK throught the tuner, and I was able to get almost 100
watts into it, though I had to retune every 10 kHz or so. I had S-8 noise
Friday nite, and S-6 Saturday, but with 20 dB attenuation in the front end of
my 765 I was able to hear some of the weaker signals. All in all much better
than last years antenna.

It worked pretty good out to 800-1000 miles as you would expect. I heard few 6s
and only worked 1, K6XX. I heard no WA stations. Only DX heard was PJ2T, and
KV4FZ. I actually worked Jeff K8ND at PJ2T...great op. Unfortunately I didn't
spend as much time as I would have liked in this one. Went to the Wisconsin-
St. Cloud hockey game Friday nite, and spent a lot of time digging my
daughter's car out of the ice/slush/snow down the street Saturday about 2300
local. Lots of midwest QSOs which was what I really wanted. Lots of SMC, MWA
QSOs.

Thanks to all

73

Jim