[3830] RAC Winter VA7ST SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VA7ST SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:48:51 -0800
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:   23              4
   80:   82              6
   40:  104              7
   20:  240              9
   15:   51              4
   10:
    6:
    2:
Total:  500     0       30         0  Total Score = 65,520

Club:

Comments:

Gear:
FT-2000 + N1MM Logger
1 x 160M inverted-L
1 x  80M delta loop
1 x  40M half-square
1 x  3-element tribander at 45'
1 x  SB221 amplifier @ ~500W

Could not even get close to last year's score, or 2005's low-power score. Tied
2006 on mults (30) but Qs were down considerably, due very much to a failure on
40M.

My US/VE half-square came down during a wind storm near the end of OK DX RTTY
two weeks ago. I waited till the morning of RAC Winter to go out and repair it,
but as I was raising the repaired wire, the halyard rope broke half way up the
tree. Friction in the branches kept the rope from slipping all the way out and
lowering the wire completely, but it was very droopy. So, I was using a rather
compromised primary antenna for this contest -- used the EU/W6 half-square
quite a bit, as well as tuning up the 80M delta-loop (300-ohm feed) for 40M.
(211 Qs last year vs. 104 this year on 40M).

Definitely noticed the bad band conditions. Didn't match 2006 Q totals on any
band.

Enjoyed watching the snow fall all day Saturday. Took the final two hours (2-4
p.m. Pacific) to rest and was in Stew Perry at 4:30 p.m. Snowed most of the
night, too, as I worked top band.

Had fun. Thanks again to RAC for the CW section, and to all for getting in
there under rather lousy conditions.

2005    Band    QSOs    Pts  Sec -- Low power
         1.8      47     264    3
         3.5      45     284    7
           7     131     752    9
          14     154     670    8
          21      47     232    5
       Total     424    2202   32   70,464

2006    Band    QSOs    Pts  Sec -- High power
         1.8      36     202    4
         3.5     101     476    5
           7     211    1046    9
          14     272    1096   10
          21      62     382    2
       Total     682    3202   30   96,060

2007    Band    QSOs    Pts  Sec -- High power
         1.8      23     136    4
         3.5      82     326    6
           7     104     400    7
          14     240    1018    9