[3830] TBDC KA9FOX Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ka9fox@qth.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC KA9FOX Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:30:31 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: KA9FOX
Operator(s): KA9FOX
Station: KA9FOX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN43 Wisconsin
Operating Time (hrs): 13:00

Total:  QSOs = 441  Total Score = 2,794

Club:

Comments:

My first time semi-serious in the Stew.  Since I set off the Carbon Monoxide
detectors in the house when I operate at length on 160m, with the amplifier on,
I decided to go Low Power.  My family thanked me.

Due to family obligations, I was not able to be on for the full 14 hours, and
the time I was on, was less than ideal.  Still, a lot of fun and I'm glad I was
able to do this contest.

The band was VERY quiet at the beginning of the night, but by the time I went
QRT, was very noisy.  I wound up listening on my 80m dipole for the latter half
of the contest.

With only an inverted vee and 95 watts, I did not expect to work any DX, but
was surprised to put a few in the log:

Best DX was UA2FF (30 points), who heard me in one call, near his sunrise.
Other DX that was easily worked included CT1JLZ (28 pts), F5IN (28 pts), GM3POI
(24 pts), KV4FZ (16 pts), NP4A (16 pts).  I'm not a Stew scoring expert, but it
seems to me that it is better/faster to work a couple W6's for 12 points each,
than to spend a lot of time trying to work a GM for 24 pts, so I did not spend
much time being a DXer.  Of the 6 DX, 2 of them called me when I was CQing
(F5IN and NP4A).  But it sure was a thrill to work any DX at all with my
antenna and at low power!!!!!!  You guys have good ears !!!

Was nice to hear so many friends, and to send and receive a lot of HNY's.

Station:
   FT-1000MP @ 95 watts
   160m Inverted VEE @ 90 ft
   80m Dipole @ 100ft (used for RX)