[3830] TBDC CE1/K7CA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7ca@infowest.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC CE1/K7CA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 09:20:03 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: CE1/K7CA
Operator(s): K7CA
Station: CE1/K7CA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Huasco, Chile
Operating Time (hrs): 11

Total:  QSOs = 319  Total Score = 5,952

Club:

Comments:

Great contest.  This year I added a RX beverage to the States and 800 watt amp.
It made for non stop pile ups which is great fun but very difficult for simplex
operation, especially on the other end of the qso.  Summer QRN was out in full
force too so I used the USA beverage for Europe and JA also since I couldn't
hear anything but S9 +20 qrn on the vertical.  It's amazing that sometimes all
I can hear on the vertical is qrn and then hear a pileup of stations calling in
the clear on the beverage (or they would be in the clear if there weren't so
many calling, Hi Hi).  Also this year I brought down an Elecraft K2 which made
a big difference, although a K3 would have been much preferred if the waiting
list wasn't so long.  My fingers are a bit sore from operating all the little
knobs but the K2 is a great performing little pocket radio.  The antenna is a
42' top loaded vertical with 45 radials made from #28 copper wire. You have to
step lightly around those little wires but they are very light in the suitcase.
The vertical is made from a telescoping fiberglass Jackite mast and fits in a
case 4' long and weighs only 7 lbs, including 2 each 4' sections of 2" aluminum
tubing for the base. Hope to see you all next year with better RX antennas to EU
and JA.