[3830] RTTY Roundup AA5AU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa5au@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup AA5AU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 06:38:51 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  319
   40:  729
   20:  666
   15:  133
   10:    0
------------
Total: 1847  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 54  Total Score = 206,864

Club:

Comments:

The ARRL RTTY Roundup is the greatest 24 hours in radiosport!  However, I
thought it was going to be a rough outing when I barely made a hundred contacts
the first hour.  With the K index going to 3, 15 meters was practically useless
Saturday.  I never really got into that zone that usually carries me through
the first 12 hours.  I struggled with the rate and it took me 13 hours to make
the number of contacts I normally do in 12.  So I decided to change strategy
from previous years.  Instead of taking six hours of rest at one time at night
I decided to go an extra hour Saturday night on the low bands and then take
only a 4.5 hour sleep period and hit the low bands again Sunday morning.  It
worked out well as 40 and 80 were great again Sunday morning.

The only problem with the new strategy is that 15 meters surprised me by
opening a little bit Sunday late morning/early afternoon.  I still needed to
take 1.5 hours rest and didn't want to leave fifteen but finally did at 1900Z
and took a short nap.  The nap helped as I had decent rates until the end of
the contest on 20 & 40 and ended up with a respectable score.  My goal going
into the contest was 1800 contacts and 200k points.  Having achieved both goals
despite poor high band condx gives me a good feeling and another fun-filled
Roundup.

I think the biggest lowlight was there seemed to be a higher number of dupes
this year.  Some stations kept calling me back again and again.  I missed MT
this year.  I kept the higher tribander to the NW on 20 meters for the last two
hours.  I worked LOTS of W7 stations but no MT.

There were several highlights.  My score is a highlight.  Finding my rival from
a previous era, Dick N1RCT.  Welcome back to the Roundup Dick!  Having 4U1WB
call me on 40 meters late Sunday.  Having UA0ZAM call me on 20 with 15 minutes
to go 'til the end.  I saw UA0ZAM while both us were S&P and tried to fish for
him but didn't get him an hour earlier.  So having him call me meant I didn't
see any multipliers I didn't work.  That's always cool.

All in all it was another great Roundup.  I can't wait until 15 (and 10)
return.  I can only imagine how much fun that will be.  The 20th anniversary of
the Roundup was a great one.  I'm looking forward to the next 20!

Station:
Icom IC-756 PRO III
Kenwood TS-870
Dell XP Pro PC
Compaq DeskPro Win98se PC
Dunestar 600 filters (2)
Dunestar headphone selector
WX0B SixPak antenna switch
WriteLog for Windows beta version 10.65B
MMTTY plug-in for WriteLog
HAL DXP-38 for receive only in 2nd RTTY window (2)
Homebrew FSK interface (2)
JPS NIR-12 DSP audio filter (2)

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S at 65 ft.