[3830] NAQP CW KR2Q Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW KR2Q Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 05:25:48 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): KR2Q
Station: KR2Q

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: FN20ru NNJ
Operating Time (hrs): 9.9

  160:   37    18
   80:  125    42
   40:  104    32
   20:  108    32
   15:   39    16
   10:    9     6
-------------------
Total:  422   146  Total Score = 61,612

Club:

Team:

Comments:

I may be wrong, but I think this is my first Jan CW NAQP effort.  It might even
be my first NAQP cw effort, period.  Lots of fun!

I started off using my FT817, but quickly discovered it didn't like loud
signals as much as my Elecraft K2 does.  So I disconnected the Yaesu, grabbed
my K2 off of the shelf, and plugged it in.  Much better and not much time
lost!

I live in NNJ and commute to Manhattan, so I usually get up at 3-something AM
to get into work by 5-something.  I usually go to bed at 8:30pm local.  So I
figured that I would have a hard time staying awake until the end and hence
started contesting from the official start.  Big mistake...activity was GREAT
near the end and I was WIDE AWAKE.  So I had to pull the plug earlier than
would have been optimally efficient.  Oh well, live and learn, even at my age.

I was really thrilled with 80m, except that I couldn't hear any W1s and W2s.  I
think N2NC is my only QSO with NJ on 80 and he moved me to 160 for my first (and
only?) NJ there....and I could barely hear him on either band.  Worked K3WW on
80m towards the end for my first PA (on any band) and then he asked if we could
ran the bands (10-160). That gave me a supposedly "easy" but much needed PA mult
on every band.  Never worked CT on any band and only worked MA on 1 band (160).
Weird.

One note of interest...being QRP, I really have to laugh at how long it takes
some guys to get my callsign, but then once they get it, they OBVIOUSLY simply
use our previous QSO info to plug in the rest.  I used this to my advantage by
cranking up the speed on the exchange with anyone who I had previously worked.
It was funny...esp on the low bands where it took many "overs" to get my call
right but then BINGO, one shot on the exchange at 38 wpm and I get a TU.

I had a great time working so many familiar calls and my casual approach made
the entire experience very relaxing and enjoyable.  I really had a GREAT time!!
 I just hope that next year, I can remember to operate the LAST 10 hours.  Of
course, by then, it will be different.  :-)

The only DOWN side was reading why so many guys were names SHANNON.  Very sad.

Thanks to everybody for the Q's!

de Doug KR2Q