[3830] NAQP CW K6DBG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K6DBG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:30:19 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K6DBG
Operator(s): K6DBG
Station: K6DBG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Oakhurst, CA
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:  44     23
   20:  16     12
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  60     35  Total Score = 2,100

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

NCCC Team #4

My first NAQP, and first effort with the new-to-me K1, which is the vacation
QTH radio. The main goal was to get familiar with the radio and have a good
time. Operation was a couple of two-hour stretches, in between spending time
with company. Didn't have computer control, so everything was keyed on travel
paddles ... the situation will improve with time  :-)

I got started after 15m had closed, and 20m was getting quiet - but I found a
number of 'stragglers' who were looking for their last Qs. I managed to pick up
a handful of multipliers there, and determined that yes, the radio is working.

40m was very exciting, and apparently very long. First, I couldn't tune my
normal 40m antenna, so had to resurrect a W3EDP. The tuner wasn't very happy
with that, either, and I was only able to get about 3W out. Nonetheless, I
worked NH, FL, AK, HI among others ... but didn't get a single CA contact. I
heard PR and DE but couldn't break the pileups :-) I heard a few KBers pretty
faintly - I'd guess that they were pointed away from me, and couldn't hear me
off the side of their antennas.

Didn't get to 80m, which requires a hardware change in the K1.

I had decided that "CHRIS" was too long to send, so I picked CY. Receiving "CY
CA TU" was apparently confusing, as I was asked for a lot of repeats. I'll try
something else next year.