[3830] NAQP CW K6LA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K6LA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:34:25 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K6LA
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: K6LA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   21    10
   80:  129    43
   40:  315    51
   20:  354    53
   15:  224    41
   10:   43    20
-------------------
Total: 1084   218  Total Score = 236,312

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #1

Comments:

Most QSOs ever for me in a CW NAQP - and at the bottom of the sunspot cycle.
That indicates the terrific level of participation.

Now if only I had 160m & 80m antennas commensurate with the other bands. Using
a shunt fed tower on 160m with 2 radials snaked around the yard doesn't cut it,
although I heard a handful of mults that couldn't hear me.

I was also hindered by the lack of an antenna switch and bandpass filters on
one radio. My level converter burned up in Sweepstakes and it was fixed and
shipped but didn't arrive in time. I figured I'd mostly run on 20m during the
day and 40m later so I put the 10m & 15m antennas on a switch on one radio and
20m on the other. Turned out 15m was so good I was running on 15m and couldn't
listen to 10m at the same time. Fortunately, I flipped the run radio to 10m at
1922Z and worked the opening for 1/2 hour. Based on other reports, I guess I
didn't miss much.

At the first break I put 40m on the run radio and 20m & 80m on the 2nd radio.
Later I moved 160m to one radio and 80m to the other for my last hour.

Never heard VE1, VE9, VY1, VY2, VO1, VE4 or ND. Only 1 SD on 1 band. I spent a
few minutes at the start working an Italian station portable in the Caribbean,
but he wouldn't give me a name, so it was wasted time.

73, Ken, K6LA