[3830] NAQP CW KU5B Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ku5b@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW KU5B Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:48:15 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: KU5B
Operator(s): KU5B
Station: KU5B

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Houston, TX
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0     0
   80:   96    33
   40:  300    50
   20:  222    37
   15:   52    25
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  675   145  Total Score = 97,005

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: CTDXCC Tamales

Comments:

This was lots of fun! I came into the weekend not knowing how I'd do so I didn't
set any goals other than start acquiring SO2R skills.

The line noise gods were very nice to me this weekend! I didn't have any
problems on 20 and the noise on 40 seemed much less than it usually is. 80 was
very tough as I'd expected. With +10 noise, I felt very deaf...sorry to
everyone that I couldn't pull through. The HF2V played very well on 40 but 80
was a different story. I'd been trying to get it tuned for both 40 and 80 the
entire previous week and at least 2 hours before the contest started Saturday
morning, but had no luck. So I just decided to keep it for 40 and use the
dipole at about 35ft for 80.

I only checked 10m once the entire contest and heard nothing.

SO2R sure has a big learning curve. I'm extremely grateful that the NCCC
continues to put on practice sessions as I worked out some software and
operator errors beforehand! I found myself actually getting pretty fluid at
SO2R q's toward the end of the contest.

I only have a few more items to complete my SO2R setup. Bandpass filters are
the #1 priority; I hated not being able to sweep 40 while running 80. I've got
a SixPack on the way so antenna switching will be much more convenient for the
next one. Finally, (a long shot), another tribander so I can sweep any of the
high bands while running on another. N2NL suggested I use my 40 dipole for 15
which seemed to work quite well. Thanks Dave!

Lastly, a big thanks to everyone for watching the live cam and audio during the
contest! Your support and conversations kept me awake throughout the whole
contest. I also had a great time talking to y'all and meeting some new and
familiar calls. From what I can remember, there were a couple of the NCCC'ers,
CTDXCC'ers, and even the group from D4C watching at one point or another!
Thanks also to KL2A for advertising the link. I should have complete SO2R audio
working by Sprint in Feb. so tune in then!

2xFT920
DX Doubler
Writelog 10.64D (WL played extremely well!)

80 - Inv-L at 35ft
40 - HF2V groundmounted
20 - TA-33-Jr at 30ft
15 - TA-33-Jr / 40m dipole at 35ft