[3830] ARRL Jan VHF VE3CRU/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3cru@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF VE3CRU/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:40:49 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  35     29  Total Score = 1,247

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This contest was essentially qrp in wx of 5 to 15 degrees Farenheit not
including windchill.  Loaned out the best gear to a base station, not planning
on operating then got the urge to get on the air.

The setup was a Ranger 5054 with 25 watts to a hamstick in the vehicle for 6M.
For 144 and 432, the back 4 elmts of my CC 4218XL boomer minus trigonal
reflector was attached to an extendible photographers light stand, with the
Yaesu 817 suspended from it by 15 inches of RG-58 to the DE and the strap
wrapped over the top of the stand, elevation avg 5 feet, about 6 feet away from
the vehicle.  Power was 2.5 watts on internal batteries and 4 watts from an
uncharged 28 amp sla battery showing 10.5 volts.  Had the back 11 elmts from
the 432 CC Boomer with me but too cold to fiddle with it.

Best ODX was K4SN in EL96 from FN13 at water's edge of Lake Ontario north
shore
on 6 meters.  Many more from Florida heard in the opening, LOUD too but bigger
stations won out in chasing them.  Best ODX on 2 was 170 km, with more distant
stations heard but unable to get their attention such as W3SO in FN00.  13
qso's in the vehicle, 22 out in the biting freezing wind, and lots of fun.
Only problem was a landowner in FN03 who told me to shut the car lights off as
they were making his dogs bark.  He had obviously been drinking, so I packed up
and left since this is a prime summer site as well.  Those worked on 2.5 watts
were amazed at the strength of the signals for such low power.  VE3OIL/R was in
the area, which helped the score.  Had a 223.5 HT 5 watts but nobody to talk to
with FM capability on that band.

Sunday, ran north to the Andrew Antenna test site 1100 fasl in FN04ma, and
heard nothing for an hour.  Tore down, put the rubber ducky on the 817 and soon
K2TER/R was booming in on 2 from FN02 from within the vehicle but I could not
get his attention.
Called it quits for the day as snow squalls were making the roads icy.

Thanks to ARRL for the contest, and to all who were so patient in working me
under adverse conditions.  Made it all worthwhile, a change from the usual
too.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R    finally thawed out