[3830] CQ160 CW K0RC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0rc@pclink.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K0RC Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:10:27 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K0RC
Operator(s): K0RC
Station: K0RC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 7.0

Total:  QSOs = 325  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 3  Total Score = 39,856

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

I always enjoy the 160m CW contests. Even as a low power station I can usually
find a spot to call my own and run stations. I did get chased off frequency by
a HP East Coast station that insisted on slowly drifting down frequency to run
me off. It work for him.

A couple of weeks ago "something" in my area was creating +60 dB line noise
that erased any hope of hearing stations on 160 or 80 meters. Fortunately,
whatever it was must have fried up and fallen to the ground. That noise was
finally gone.

I have never heard so many European stations on 160m. I had to check my radio
to make sure I wasn't listening to 80 meters! For TX I use a low, full size
160m inverted vee with the apex at 70 feet. As you know, that configuration is
not known as a great DX antenna. I also have a 450 foot Beverage pointing at
EU. This time the Beverage antenna didn't provide any advantage in reception.
The signals were really strong.

My remaining problem was running in Low Power class I couldn't be heard through
all the pile ups. Although I was hearing plenty of EU I couldn't work many of
them. I did got lucky and worked 3 DX stations: CT9M, CU8A, and KH6LC.