[3830] CQ160 CW DK6XZ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dk6xz@t-online.de
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW DK6XZ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 03:55:10 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: DK6XZ
Operator(s): DK6XZ
Station: DK6XZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Pforzheim
Operating Time (hrs): 26

Total:  QSOs = 512  State/Prov = 1  Countries = 50  Total Score = 113,322

Club:

Comments:

CONTEST  : CQ-160-CW
CATEGORY : SINGLE-OP 160M LOW
CALLSIGN : DK6XZ
E-MAIL : dk6xz@t-online.de

NAME     : Suad Zukic
ADDRESS  : Gymnasiumstr. 104
           75175 Pforzheim
           Germany

 Band       QSOs    Points     Multiplier
  1.8      515      2222       50 +   1
 TOTAL     515      2222       50 +   1

SCORE :     113322
===================

Remarks:
========

Hello there!

I was hearing/reading much about "Top-Band" lately, but do not
remember to have ever worked there very much myself. Even 20 years
back, I remember, we found 160 m only important for multipliers in
multi-operator efforts of 4N4C/YU4EZC.

Yes, it was my first CQ WW 160 m contest!

As I re-activated just couple of months ago, I was very keen to
taste it - but previous planes changed: I was not able to work from
the station intended. So I tryed to hear in a bit from my home...
Great surprise, as I somehow brought my 6,8 m Al-whip with 15 m
sloping wire ( vertical Windom ) into resonance, only with the built
-in tuner of the FT-1000 MP. Fine, some of the stations were even
able to hear me ... I started to work on 160 m, two days before.

First night was making great fun. I was able to exchange reports
with 86 stations, hearing some VE/W stations even very strong. On
the other hand, I was disappointed making other guys problems to
copy me trough my obviously very weak signal. Thus I had my fun, as
every EU-QSO logged produced satisfaction like being a DX one...

As the first night made reason to stay awaiken the whole time, I
was encuraged to try something else: so, next day went to the shop
and bought some 40 m wire! There is a location with power supply,
on the hill-top, just few 100 m away from my home in downtown. Short
after first band-openings antenna was up on the new location...

Well, belive me, I was screeming from happyness: suddenly, i was
heard by everyone I was hearing myself. Small action paid of... The
antenna ( dipole ) "lays" just few meters above ground, but EU-sigs
are enormous comparing to the night before. Next 15 hours fruited
with following 365 QSOs... 7X, TA, CU, CT9, CN2 logged.

The Highlight - VY2ZM ( K1ZM ):
-------------------------------
Jeff, thank you for your Super-Station and congratulations
on your antenna-system. You was the only NA able to hear my 100W.

Sunnday morning I was already laughing: unexpected, I scored
some 100.000 pts. Even a certificate could be hoped...

Last contest night did not bring much, but some 65 Qs still made
me happy and 2,5 hours before the end of the contest I was climbing
the tries and poles to remove the wires, as it is a scool area I
used ( thanks to the friends from my local club ) - the place should
be cleared from any antenna-rests before the kids come to learn
something.

25% of the total QSOs were DL followed by 13% OK. S5-6%, SP-5,6%,
R3-5,2%, HA-4,1%... With that low dipole I was not able even to
hear any DX.

Congratulations to 4O3A and T93J stuffs for very fine job done.
Thanks to "CQ Amateur Radio" for the organization and all of you
who was able to contact me. Will see you soon in one of the coming
contests...

73´s Suad, DK6XZ

Equipment used:

TRX: YAESU FT-1000 MP ( 100 W ) + KENT PADDLE + HEIL HC-4 HEADSET
ANT: VERTICAL WINDOM ( 22 m ), DXSR VFD-4 ( 9-BANDER )  FED @18 m
ANT2: 1/2 DIPOLE FED @9 M AGL - BOTH ENDS OF DP @3 m AGL
PC: TOSHIBA SATELLITE PIII 1GHZ - UCXLOG 6.20