[3830] RTTY WPX KY4F(K4TD) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rnwalker@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX KY4F(K4TD) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 15:19:55 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: KY4F
Operator(s): K4TD
Station: K4TD

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ALABAMA
Operating Time (hrs): 30

   80:  297  1042
   40:  524  2032
   20:  762  1678
   15:   74   158
   10:    0     0
-----------------
Total: 1657  4910  Prefixes = 630  Total Score = 3,093,300

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

First, I would like to give a big "thank you" to my old pal, Doug Haft, for the
use of his call for this contest.  I had hoped we could do this contest as a
multi-op, but unfortunately Doug wasn't able to make it down this weekend.

Man, working WPX with the KY4F call sign was much more interesting than it
would have been using K4TD.  The WPX always brings out plenty of intersting
call signs and this one was no exception.  :-)

I am relatively new to RTTY, and I still have plenty to learn about setting up
MMTTY properly.  I had lots of difficulty getting it to decode the audio.  It
was very frustrating to watch MMTTY fail to decode signals that were perfectly
audible to me.  In fact, I thought on more than one occasion that if this had
been a CW contest I would have already had the station worked and in the log;
instead, I was stuck waiting on the software to tell me what I needed to
know...  :-(  I would be interested in hearing about any alternatives to MMTTY
(if such things exist).

Although packed, the money band for me was 40 meters.  The signals out of
Europe were very good on both evenings.  I have heard others say that 15 meters
was good on Saturday morning, but I didn't get to experience that here.  I did
work some 15 meter EU on Sunday morning, but I had to beam toward Africa to do
it.  I tried beaming direct to EU but never did have any success that way.  And
before N4OX tries to distort this, I can look out the window and see which way
the antennas are pointed...  :-)

The biggest high of the contest was feeling like DX due to the KY4 prefix.  The
biggest low was the brief Sunday morning power failure that robbed me of two
multipliers and caused me to lose a clear, productive run frequency.  I have my
computers, monitors and station 12V power supply on an UPS so they stayed with
me, but the 87a amp isn't on an UPS device (yet).  During the 87a three minute
warm-up time, I was not able to prevent a poacher from stealing my frequency
(you and I both know who you are...).

See you in the NAQP RTTY as K4TD.  Hopefully KY4F will be here so we can run it
as a multi-op.

73,

Rick
K4TD