[3830] RTTY WPX W1UJ SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1uj@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX W1UJ SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:12:54 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: W1UJ
Operator(s): W1UJ
Station: W1UJ

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Webster, MA
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:
   40:  191  596
   20:
   15:
   10:
-----------------
Total:  191  596  Prefixes = 129  Total Score = 76,884

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Complete remote control.

My summertime shack is behind my detached garage.  During the wintry WX here,
it is seldom used- and really cold.  I tried to get a simple setup in the house
for listening, at least.
Here is how the simple setup has evolved;
3 Windows Computers, 2 XP Laptops each w/ embedded wireless LAN, 1 win2k
server.  2 Linksys Wireless Routers.

1 Laptop, the command Center with VNC, on a 12" display, to Laptop #2;

Laptop 2 N1MM Logger/MMTTY engine for keying radio, has one on-board serial
port directly to Icom 756 Pro II- CI-V. LP-100 Virtual Control Panel for
Wattmeter.
2 Ports connected through Ethernet to serial server connected directly to
on-board ethernet port.
1 port for PTT and true FSK, 1 port Has Winkey (Unused on RTTY)

2 more ports connected to Computer #3 located in winter shack (Spider Node,
APRS server/WX Station).
1 port for LP-100 Vector Wattmeter and 1 port (PTT) for keying the amplifier.

The winter shack and house network are connected through a Linksys (DD-WRT)
wireless network.

Radio
Icom 756 Pro-II
RigBlaster Plus
75' coax
AL-80b Amplifier
LP-100 Wattmeter with SWR protection for AMP
75' Coax to R-5 Vertical

I called CQ most of the time although no true run rates developed.  I selected
the Vertical to reduce potential RFI problems, and I thought up the amplifier
keying at about 2000z Sunday, with no one answering CQ's
I made most contacts with 50w. then with about 350 watts.
I did not notice any keying delays or hot switching, but I would like to
incorporate switching the amp in a bit earlier and out a bit later for safety's
sake.

My goal was 200 QSOs, but the service pager went off that occupied the last
hour.

Now I have to go outside in the cold to shut the AMP off.  More serial ports
for switching power/antennas/bands?!?

73's Thanks for the QSO's, this was fun, and warm!

Jason W1UJ