[3830] RTTY WPX KR7X(@K7ZSD) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kr7x1@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX KR7X(@K7ZSD) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:46:58 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: KR7X
Operator(s): KR7X
Station: K7ZSD

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NW OREGON
Operating Time (hrs): 21
Radios: SO2R

   80:   97   230
   40:  283   904
   20:  508   748
   15:  121   192
   10:
-----------------
Total: 1009  2074  Prefixes = 345  Total Score = 715,530

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

First off I have to thank Brad and Ruth for allowing me to disrupt their weekend
to allow me to attend to this foolishness. Kidding aside the hospitality was off
the scale and Ruth kept me in the chair as always. I cannot thank them enough.

This contest started out as the proverbial ethnic fire drill. Never, Never,
Ever decided to change equipment, software and set-ups prior to the contest. I
decided to install, with Brad's blessing and assistance, the MK2R+ controller
to allow for SO2R. Next we moved my K3 to be the second radio at the first SO2r
Position. Next I decided to switch from WriteLog to Win-Test as the contest
logging software. Brad uses Win-Test for all the Multi and single op
operations. Lastly we installed the K3XVR boards in the K3.

The K3XVR installion went fine. This was to allow used of the receive only
antenna position on the board and the switchable beverage arrays at the
station. The positioning of the MK2R+ and radio position switch-out went ok
just took time to move things around. Next time I will get the extra long cable
assemplies from MicroHam!

Win-Test was already installed, just had to install a second full copy of MMTTY
to allow the use of SO2R with Win-Test.

Then the fun started, It took many hours to get the MicroHam router and
Win-Test configurations (software) to work together. The biggest thing was
assign an virual com port to the control item box in the router set-up and the
discovery that you (in Win-Test) don't need to define the FSK com port in its
configuration menu. This took,with all the possible permutations of the
variables, almost 6 hours of trial. When it worked it was an incredible DOH!
event.

I finally started the test at 0700 utc (11:00pm local). My contest focus was
shot. I then switched gears and just focused on becoming used to operating the
new equipment in SO2R, as all my previous SO2R operations were with
Write-Log/MMTTY and direct serial port to radio connections for control, fsk
and ptt.

I can say without reservations that this system (MK2R+/Win-Test) is the best I
have used to date. No problems at all. Focus shifts when you want it to and
expect it to. Even manual dualing CQ's without a hitch. Headphone switching the
full meal deal. It is a winner.

The K3 is an awesome radio with a super receiver and worked without a hitch and
stayed cool. The Mark V also worked well as it always has. I did notice a lot of
distorted signals which were obviously over driven ASFK signals. Use FSK if you
can please.

The propagation sucked. Only a small European opening on Saturday morning. JA's
were lacking in numbers but helped me out on 40 and 80 when I first got started.
The test as last year, from here, was mostly a NA contest. It was fun non the
less and I'll see you next RTTY test.

Thanks to all for the contacts.

Ciao and 73

Hank / KR7X