[3830] ARRLDX CW PJ2T M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ghoward@kent.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW PJ2T M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:04:23 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): N1ZZ, W8AV, W8TK, W9VA, W0CG, W0NB, N0YY
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Netherlands Antilles
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  822    56
   80: 1255    59
   40: 1979    59
   20: 2052    59
   15: 1832    59
   10:   35    11
-------------------
Total: 7975   303  Total Score = 7,249,275

Club:

Comments:

The first night was characterized by tremendously bad low band noise. We made
good use of a pennant antenna, which worked better than the Beverage at pulling
signals out of the crud on 80. The Beverage was still better on 160. We logged
exactly 1000 QSOs in the first 120 minutes. Fun.

Saturday morning's reconfig from low bands to high went normally and about at
the expected times, and we were off to the races on 20 and 15, but pessimistic
about the chances for 10 basd on the early morning MUF map. Sure enough, we
only managed 20-something Qs on 10 and 8 mults in a very brief opening at about
2015Z.

The second night started quieter and this time the Beverage dominated on both
the low bands. Sunday morning was NOT normal, though, as it took almost two
hours later than Saturday until we managed the first 15 QSO. 10 never opened
except for three mults (LA, MA, and AL) that W9VA cleverly worked by firing at
the high MUF region in the Pacific at a 240 degree azimuth from Curacao.

Thanks to VE4YU for moving from 40 to 80 and at least twice attempting a 160
QSO, and to everyone else who was patient with our begging for skeds and QSYs,
such as N4GN who met us Sunday afternoon on 1822 for the much needed, believe
it or not, KY mult on 160.

N0YY joined us for this operation and has agreed to become a PJ2T member --
amazing after meeting us and seeing how things work here!!

As usual, the biggest thanks go to the members of the PJ2T gang who work hard
all year around to keep this place on the air and provide the necessary
support. In particular, we thank Goose, W8AV, who labored with me to haul three
200 pound coils of hardline to the top of "Mount Beverage" behind the station
and put in nearly a week installing an expanded antenna switching system at the
station.

This crew did an outstanding job because we decided on Wednesday to go M/M. We
dug in and managed to stay awake and to keep all the stations manned whenever
needed. The 0900Z hour on Sunday is even agony in the Caribbean, but we hung in
there for every possible Q.

Thanks for the Qs. See you in the SSB contest.

    Geoff, W0CG, PJ2DX for the PJ2T gang