[3830] ARRLDX CW KL8DX SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, akdxer@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KL8DX SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:50:00 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KL8DX
Operator(s): KL8DX
Station: KL8DX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: ALASKA
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:
   80:    2
   40:   15
   20:  483
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  500    56  Total Score = 84,000

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Friday night and Saturday morning were brutal this far north, low & slow! By
Saturday afternoon, things were sounding better.  I decided on my low power
entry and I am glad I stuck with it. By Sunday, it all paid off! The bands came
alive and 20 meters was the best I have heard it in weeks, if not more. I can
always count on the west coast but the east and central US was just pounding
into the interior of Alaska on Sunday! I was actually surprised how far my 100
watts was being heard since I have become amplifier dependent up here more than
ever. I was not able to work the entire contest but what I did work was a blast.

I parked and called CQ more than I did S&P. Thanks to all those that stuck it
out to work me. We have had strong SE winds all weekend and currently
receiving
gusts over 60 mph as I write this. I had some instances of high noise from
the local area but it was workable. More than once, someone running Amtor or
Baudot or one of the digital modes, QRM'd my frequency which made it hard to
hear at times. I moved around but evidentially, I was trespassing on
somebody's frequency even though I had been there for a few hours. This
accounted for most of my repeats and hopefully I did not bust too many
callsigns.

It was great working many familiar callsigns and several new! I heard lots
of great DX but I was not able to work them in this contest. I sure could have
used a few new ones. Other than hitting the wrong Fkey a few times, things
went
very well with the software (N3FJP).

Observation:  I can tell it is February as lots of non "4" hams in Florida!
It was great working my old neighbors and club members back in Ohio, too.

All the best and thanks again for the contacts! I am CW challenged so I
sure appreciate everyone's patience.