[3830] ARRLDX CW N4YDU SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4ydu@nc.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N4YDU SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 05:44:17 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N4YDU
Operator(s): N4YDU
Station: N4YDU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 32
Radios: SO2R

  160:   35    27
   80:  115    52
   40:  205    66
   20:  401    78
   15:   65    31
   10:    6     3
-------------------
Total:  827   257  Total Score = 635,304

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Hard to keep my head in this one, but I still had fun. I went to bed four hours
after the start of the contest - I was simply too tired to continue. The low
bands seemed quiter the first night, but signals were strong enough to get
through the noise on the second night. Rates were painful during the afternoon
hours. I did manage to run a little bit on 20M both days, but nothing
spectacular. I didn't use the second radio too much in this one, but it was
nice to have the option - the second rig did result in some extra mults.

Managed 2 LUs, 2 V31s and 2 CXs on 10. Those were the only dx I heard.

I was surprised 15 sucked as much as it did. I figured it would open at least a
little to europe one morning for some mults, but it never really happened. I
heard 9A7A, 9A1A, YO9HP and EA4TX, but couldn't raise them. Only EU on 15 was a
G station.

20 meters was obviously the big band. I was happy with the new bi-square
antenna. I was able to run when I could find a clear frequency, which was often
above 14.100. Using an AMP would have made it a lot more enjoyable on 20. The
Bi-square out performs the tribander, but I still need more kick on 20.

40M - I missed a lot on 40M after going to bed so early the first night, but I
had a good time there. I didn't work a single JA, but the path didn't seem to
great each morning. I heard two, but no luck for me.

80M - 80 is always a fun band to me. Signals were good both nights. The new
beveraged helped on 80 and 40.

160 - The highlight on 160 was getting up at 6:45 local Sunday morning and
snagging KH7X and KL7RA witin a few minutes. I didn't spend a lot of time on
160, but conditions seemed good.

Station
IC 765 and Ten Tec Corsair
160 - Inverted L (75 vertical)
80 - Ground plane
40 - Halfsquare and Dipole
20: Bi-Square and Loop plus TA33JR
15: 2 element delta loop fixed to EU (One qso!), Delta loop, TA33JR
10: TA33JR (roof mounted, about 35 feet high)

360 foot beverage (ne/sw)

Writelog, WX0B six pak, Timewave DSP 59+, Dunestar audio mixer