[3830] ARRLDX CW W6XR SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W6XR@frontiernet.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W6XR SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:04:37 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W6XR
Operator(s): W6XR
Station: W6XR

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: WNY
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:   67    47
   80:   91    60
   40:  210    73
   20:  220    82
   15:   50    32
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  638   294  Total Score = 562,716

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

A very limited comittment managed to producer a huge amount of enjoyment.  No
glitches with hardware or software and more than ample time to divert my
attention to the NASCAR activities when the race was finally started.

I only "ran" stations twice during the contest prefering to chase DX and play
in the packet swarms instead which gave me the opportunity to get out of the
chair and take care of this old body.  I still have residuals from an event
that precludes a full effort.

On 160, I was surprised at how well the Inverted L did and the low band
performance was certainly enhanced by the steerable K9AY array.  The high bands
were about as bad as I can remember in 41 years of this contest.  10 was
completely dead and 15 was not much better.  20 was clearly the place to be if
you had the discipline to deal with that band.  The Orion II again impressed me
on all bands especially on 160 and 80.  The downside was that I could not hear
stations displaced a few hundred cycles from me but those ststion could
certainly hear me.

I'm already thinking about next year and hoping all the parts of my spine are
healed so I can keep those parts in the chair!

W6XR is:

Orion II and a modified (QSK) TL922

160      Inverted L
80       Horizontal dipole at 75'
40       2 el at 90'
20/15/10 C31XR at 83'

Writelog and the normal blue Array Solutions boxes for switching things.

Thanks to all who worked me and I might suggest the cut number activity be
looked at by the sponsors.  I was "brought up" to copy and submit what was sent
so my log has such things as AK, 2KW, K, kw and 5NN in it.  Hope I'm not DQ'd!
The accuracy of packet spots has never been worse.  I suppose if you use the
cluster, this garbage is one of the many problems encountered.  Why was 6Y
repeatedly spotted as BY?  I think I'm becoming one of the people I used to
laugh at --- only need to wear coveralls with suspenders, gain weight so my
belly hangs over my belt and grow hair coming out of my ears. It's time to work
some of that "Morris" code.

73

Natan W6XR
Ithaca, NY