[3830] ARRLDX CW W2UP SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2up@arrl.net, frc@gofrc.org
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W2UP SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:20:39 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W2UP
Operator(s): W2UP
Station: W2UP

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:   50    39
   80:  215    67
   40:  544    89
   20:  645    89
   15:   53    41
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1507   325  Total Score = 1,469,325

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Random musings:
SO1RPTFD - single op 1 radio, part-time, first day operation (OK, 30 minutes on
Sunday morning - I was hoping 15m would open for a fun run.)  SO2R is like power
windows in a car - once you have it, it's hard to go back.  There's so much lost
potential with 1 radio.  All that time doing nothing, during the CQ!

Everybody's b*tching about condx.  For the time I operated, granted, not much,
I thought it was pretty good.  The low bands were the quietest I've heard them
in a long time.  I had a ton of QRPers call in and for the most part, no
problems copying them (other than their incessant repeating of "QRP QRP.")  On
40m, I worked almost 300 stations in a little over 2 hours (20-2200Z on Sat.)

On 160, my weakest band, I beat W3LPL out to one station - the little things
that make us happy.  It will probably never happen again :.)  The other
fortunate thing about this QSO was it was not a packet spot, so I got in and
out quickly before all the endless callers arrived.  Have you ever noticed a
few guys have a knack for dropping their call in just as the DX responds, every
time?

I used N1MM for the first time from home (used it for the very first time at
N3RS in CQWW CW)  Some things about it I like better than Writelog, others
things not.  A couple of times, I don't know what happened, but the radio QSYed
on me.  One minute I'm CQing on 7000.7, the next minute, I'm CQing on 7035 and
some poor W8 is wondering where I came from.  Once I realized what happened, I
went back to my freq (and apologies to the W8.)

Some of these cut numbers are crazy.  How about this?  Next time you get a
wacky cut number, send your exchange phonetically - for example, five nine nine
papa alpha (yes, on cw)