[3830] ARRLDX CW W3UA SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3ua@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W3UA SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:32:23 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W3UA
Operator(s): W3UA
Station: W3UA

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 28

  160:
   80:
   40: 1033    104
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1033   3099  Total Score = 322,608

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

As usual, I arrived home from Russia less than 24 hours before the test, with
jet lag and totally exhausted... which cost me dearly when I decided to take a
nap the second night at 7 Zulu, set an alarm clock for 8:30 with hope to catch
a few western mults and some Qs before the sunrise -- and woke up at 12:20
Zulu, at the bright sunshine! Lost at least 50 QSOs and a few mults, and let
N2IC beat me hands down. I'm not even talking about N2MF, who (according to the
number of spots) also easily prevailed. Good job, guys.

The only hardware problem was with my microKEYER 2R+, which several times
started to transmit something on its own. Switching it off and restarting the
software router cured the problem, but being unable to transmit for about a
minute invited frequency thieves, who immediately started calling CQ on the
"clear" frequency. Usually in 30 seconds they realized that the frequency
indeed was not unused, and QSYd... but not always.

Another funny effect was a busted spot, which put me out of business for almost
10 minutes, when I was called by about 30 EU big guns, trying to make dupes. I
transmitted my call after EVERY "QSO B4" -- and still, they trusted their eyes
rather than ears... It's good when you are spotted, but not always. The
question is -- maybe it's better to QSY and find a new frequency? It's not
always easy to find a clear one (see above).