[3830] CQ160 SSB N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:54:44 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 13

Total:  QSOs = 74  State/Prov = 11  Countries = 3  Total Score = 2,310

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was a very different contest from what I was hoping for.
We had a lot of rain with some terrible precipitation static that
made copy almost impossible at times.  I wonder if this was like
the static problems people from the equatorial regions talk about.

Had to switch between two different loops and a dipole as receive
antennas to have even a hope of copying signals.  I ran my
receiver with the attenuator in and the rf gain all the way down
to keep the radio from overloading on the static crashes.  Noise
blanker didn't even make a dent, and the DSP was sounding a bit
over whelmed at times.  Even so, I had fun when I could hear.
Contacts were way down, as I think a lot of the W6 stations I was
counting on had battened down their hatches for the storm we were
predicted to have with intense winds.  Fortunately, the winds
didn't show here, so all my wires stayed up.

My high point was working VP6DX Saturday night, and then being
able to ragchew with the operator for a few minutes Sunday
morning when his CQs were going unanswered.  My low point was
having to shut down Saturday night due to intense precipitation
static that kep me from hearing anything.

I wound up with 5 fewer QSOs than last year, and missed the KH6
mult for the first time.  Never even heard them.  At least I got
KL7RA in the log.

As always, my K2 performed solidly, and was a joy to use.  Even
with these conditions, my K2 at 5 watts still got out, at least as
far as KS and VP6 :-)

Now to prep the station for the ARRL DX SSB coming up.  Hope to
work some good DX this time.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude