[3830] CQ160 SSB VE3FRX Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jjw5257@yahoo.ca
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB VE3FRX Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 06:38:58 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: VE3FRX
Operator(s): VE3FRX
Station: VE3FRX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Varna
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

Total:  QSOs = 306  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 4  Total Score = 78,408

Club:

Comments:

What a blast!!!
I almost didn't enter or even turn the rig on in my temporary shack setup,
because of minor success with 160CW.  First night was tough, but made some good
DX contacts (KP4, C6, WA, VE7), so I cranked up the processing using the
Rigblaster pro AND the onboard one in the old TS-140S, pushing the ALC to the
limit.  Only in this condition was I being heard on the first or second call
and no reports of clipping or distortion so I ran that way the second night.

Could hear everything, including EU, but running 90 watts into a 90ft longwire
at 25ft with NO VERTICAL ASPECT, I was amazed I got any DX at all.  My 90ft
longwire runs from the tree right to the window of my 2nd floor shack.  Use 5
130ft radials on the ground rod beneath the window.  QTH is on top of a hill
with a view of Lake Huron about 3.5 miles to the west.  So this helps for
sure.
I used the realtime score reporting, which was a great motivator in the
doldrums of 3-4AM.  Too bad so few stations are signing on.

Next year I will have receiving antennas and a vertical to give EU a chance.
A BIG thank you to all those Ops with great ears and RX antennas for pulling me
out of their noise floor.  Especially thanks to HI3T for his effort, and the new
160m country.

Countries: C6, HI, KP4, XE
Missed: DE, ID, MT, NM, OR, WY  and AB, NS, PEI and the all northern boonies.

My El-Cheapo Station includes:
Rig:  Kenwood TS-140S with no SSB filters!
Tuner: MFJ-949C
Interface: Rigblaster pro
Software: N1MM (the best!)
Audio:  I used a cheap ($20) Plantonics computer headset.

73 es gud DX de
Jeff, VE3FRX