[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE6CNU SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VE6CNU SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 16:16:56 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:
   80:    2     2
   40:    6     5
   20:  120    44
   15:   55    23
   10:
-------------------
Total:  183    74  Total Score = 40,626

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

With active auroral conditions and no sunspots, I should have left the radio
off. I missed this contest last year but in 2006 I made over 50% more points
and had a poorer antenna system.  On Friday night I went to bed with about 25
QSOs in the log.  My noise level on 80m and 160m is 20db/S9, so there was no
point in staying up late.  Saturday was spent working Central and South
America, as the rest of the world was inaccessible.  I thought Sunday would go
the same way, but I did manage to finally work a handful of European countries
around noon local time (1900Z).  I did not hear the usual German, Belgian,
Dutch, Polish, or Slovenian stations, and nothing from Russia either.  The
opening to Japan on Saturday lasted about 20 minutes at my QTH, and on Sunday
was a bit longer.  No other Asian stations were heard, and nothing from Africa
or Australia either.

While it doesn't help living in an "RF Black Hole", the topography and antenna
situation reduces by 13m high tower to effectively half that height on 20m.  It
works better on 15m, but that isn't open very effectively yet - except to South
and Central America.  So I wish to thank all those who pulled my weak signal
through the mud, which at 100W, was most of the time.  I am buying an amp, so
hopefully things will improve in the future!

73 and tell those contest organizers to order up some sunspots for the next
one!

Jerry
VE6CNU

Transceiver:  FT-1000MP 100W
Antennas:   TH6-DXX, inverted vee, shunt-fed tower
Logging:  N1MM