[3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 20:02:42 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:    0     0
   80:    6     5
   40:   32    19
   20:   67    29
   15:   78    31
   10:   40    10
-------------------
Total:  223    94  Total Score = 62,886

Club:

Comments:

Rig: Elecraft K-2 with output set to 5 Watts

Antennas:

3 el SteppIR up 32 feet
Butternut HF-2V for 40 & 80 M

Two weeks ago I was at TI5KD's station making over 2,300 QRP Qs by calling CQ.
This weekend I was 100% S&P and struggled to make almost every single one of
the 223 Qs I made!!  What a difference a good antenna system and a having
wanted call sign make!

Conditions, as everyone knows, were terrible.  From my location here on the
west coast, I never heard a European station for the entire weekend (I was QRP
and not really listening to the weak signals). And I had only one African Q,
and that was with AO8A on 40 meters.

That being said, it was still fun! My best Qs were AO8A on 40 meters, and YE1AA
made on 15 meters in the last 15 minutes of the contest. Sometimes a Q like that
can make up for the entire weekend!

73,   ....Bill Parker   W8QZA - W6QU